• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Recovery Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tinkerbell48445

What is the name of your state? Maryland
Have any of you ever used a child support recovery service?
I'm thinking of going that route after discovering that Maryland is not interested in pursuing arrearage only cases.
Are they legal, how do they go about pursuing the money that is owed? Is it true that they only collect if they are successful? My ex owes me what I believe is in excess of $20,000 and I think my biggest fear is that if I use this method and they say okay we got him that they will try to collect a percentage of the $20,000 from me before I collect anything from him. Any advice? (I have visions of big goons strongarming him - (and sometimes it's a pleasant thought :rolleyes:))

KSUAVE007

Child support

I don't know if you know how to contact your childs father but I am offering skip tracing services to locate anyone in the US for $75 if you're interested contact me at [email protected]

Lisabyday

Their fee for recovery is a percentage of the amount owed. That percentage varies. Most recovery services collect their fees from the child support collected-not from you directly. Hope this helps.

Tinkerbell48445

Why the nasty overtone? Yes he is in arrears over $20,000 from a child support case that was filed in Georgia and amount settled upon through CSE in Colorado. Colorado closed the case because he moved, Maryland does not wish to pursue because it's only arrears. And no I do not think I'm the only case in the system but because Maryland will not pursue I'm investigating other methods. Before I go the child support recovery services route I wanted to know what their methods were. Why are you so disgruntled? And for the record I do not have a lazy ass, he stopped payment on arrears in December and I started procedures against him in February.

Tinkerbell48445

legalcuriosity said:
Umm...there is no nasty overtone or disgruntleness. Here's a suggestion: don't read into posts on here. Not to mention, the comments were not directed AT you. :rolleyes:

All you need to do is read some of these threads on this forum. There were a couple in the past few weeks where women were waiting many, many, many years to finally file for support or even establish paternity. Then, after waiting all of these years, they come on here asking for assistance how to get back support from the past 6, 7, 10-plus years because THEY waited this long to go through the system. I can see their scenario now: they've fallen on hard times...need cash and think this is their way of banking. WRONG!!!

In your situation, the CS agency doesn't really 'need' to pursue it. They WILL get the money -- eventually. And so will you. If he thinks that he can avoid this whole thing until the kid(s) turn 18 (or whatever the age is in your state) and it'll stop, he's got another thing coming. The longer he avoids it, the longer he will continue to pay. And pay ALOT more than if he just would've paid it when he was supposed to.

If the CS agency can't collect, what makes you think another agency will be successful. Child Support agencies have alot of tools at their disposal.
Pardon please, guess I misread you. I'm not sure I'm reading this right again. CS agency- are you talking about going through Child Support Enforcement that exists in each state as part of the state government connected with States Attorney? Or are you talking about an actual outside agency? And again I don't know if a child support recovery service would be successful I just know that I was told by Child Support Enforcement for the state of Maryland that they were not going to pursue him for arrears because it was only arrears, my son is emancipated. At any rate, (in case anyone is interested) I found out that Child Support Recovery services is basically a collection agency that does things like post deadbeat parent posters, calls his house, place of employment, neighbors, etc. I'm going to wait until I get it in writing from Maryland, yes or no, and get a lawyer if it's no.

VeronicaGia

Tinkerbell48445 said:
Why the nasty overtone? Yes he is in arrears over $20,000 from a child support case that was filed in Georgia and amount settled upon through CSE in Colorado. Colorado closed the case because he moved, Maryland does not wish to pursue because it's only arrears. And no I do not think I'm the only case in the system but because Maryland will not pursue I'm investigating other methods. Before I go the child support recovery services route I wanted to know what their methods were. Why are you so disgruntled? And for the record I do not have a lazy ass, he stopped payment on arrears in December and I started procedures against him in February.
It is possible that MD will not collect for you since CO, who continues to control the support order, has closed it. There may be UIFSA issues here. Since CO controlled the order and closed it, MD may not want to reopen the case and may be barred from reopening the case.

Tinkerbell48445

VeronicaGia said:
It is possible that MD will not collect for you since CO, who continues to control the support order, has closed it. There may be UIFSA issues here. Since CO controlled the order and closed it, MD may not want to reopen the case and may be barred from reopening the case.
Colorado specifically told me they closed the case because he quit paying and they could not force him to pay since he no longer lived in Colorado...but they strongly adviced me to reopen the case in Maryland because of the large amount of arrears that he neither paid off or down (In fact the amount is now larger than the orginal figure). Although it may be an exercise in futility, I do intend to pursue, be it lawyer or through CSE in Maryland. If roles were reversed, and I owed him the money, I'd be in jail right now, he'd see to it.

Starry809

Ive been "involved" in the "outside child support" agencies. Be VERY VERY careful.
You sign a contract stating they get a certain percentage of money you get... even if the STATE gets it for you. ANY money you get regarding that case, that outside agency gets their percentage, to the point of them finding out you got a check and they send you a BILL for it.
Also, you cant cancel the contract should you decide to go no further with it. It takes going TO that state, and going to court.
They WILL find the person, but then they quote 70 percent interest on what that person owes. If he sends a check, they end up getting 50 percent of the money (or more), and you get the rest.
also, that "Agency" doesnt report his payments to the state and he gets no credit for money he paid towards back support. opening all new doorways for legal problems.

Also, the one I was dealing with has MASSIVE complaints on it. Alot of filed with that states attorney general
Im not a lawyer, just someone thats "been there done that".
In my HUMBLE opinion, there are ALOT of other options available, rather than resorting to the "blood suckers".
income tax interception requests are a good start (and EASY to do if you have the original court order and proof). liens on personal property etc.

surf the internet... youll be surprised at what you find
BUt seriously rethink those "outside agencies".
again, not a lawyer, so take what I say with a grain of salt.. only the opinion of someone not looking for money, and not involved with you personally.

VeronicaGia

Tinkerbell48445 said:
Colorado specifically told me they closed the case because he quit paying and they could not force him to pay since he no longer lived in Colorado...but they strongly adviced me to reopen the case in Maryland because of the large amount of arrears that he neither paid off or down (In fact the amount is now larger than the orginal figure). Although it may be an exercise in futility, I do intend to pursue, be it lawyer or through CSE in Maryland. If roles were reversed, and I owed him the money, I'd be in jail right now, he'd see to it.
What does the court order from CO say as to why the case is closed. Does it specifically say on the order that they stopped enforcing the order since he would not pay and no longer lives in CO?

Do you know where he is? Do you know where he's working, living, etc? If not, MD probably doesn't want to do that legwork either. If so.....? I still don't know if MD can reopen a case that's been closed by another state. It would be like a judge overruling another possibly without the authority to do so.

Silverplum

You've probably already read all of this, but just in case:

https://childsupport.state.co.us/parent/closingACaseIndex.jsp

Child Support Enforcement (CSE) will close a case:
• After an obligation ends and the noncustodial parent has paid all support and arrears, or
• After making all possible reasonable attempts to establish or enforce an order with no success, or
• After trying but not being able to find the noncustodial parent or the custodial party, or
• If closure is requested by the person who applied for services
The county CSE Unit may send a letter to you 60 days before closing the case. Even if a case is closed, it does not always mean that the noncustodial parent's legal duty to pay support will end. If new information about a case is received, the case may be reopened.

So....maybe if YOU do the legwork and find him, you can send the new info to CO and they may reopen the case.

Cold comfort, I know.

MtnMoon

Tinkerbell48445 said:
You stated the original order was filed in Georgia...and Colorado Child Support Enforcement took over handling payments from your ex. Ok... You might contact Georgia and find out if the court there is reserving jurisdiction. I currently live in Colorado...so does my ex...but our child support order is from California. Although CSE here in Colorado handles the payments...they did not transfer the order into a Colorado case. So...any modifications, etc, need to be handled through the California courts which reserve jurisdiction. That very well might be the story regarding your case.

So...since your case was originally opened in GA...that would be a good place to find out about how to pursue this. Here's what you may do:

(1) Refer to your order and locate the proper court in GA. Contact the clerk's office to find out what documents/forms will need to be filed once you locate your ex.

(2) You might try contacting the Child Support Enforcement Office in GA, too. Here's the website: http://ocse.dhr.georgia.gov/portal/site. Here are the phone numbers for GA CSE Customer Service: 800-227-7993 or 404-463-8800. The customer service reps are usually quite helpful and may be able to point you in the right direction.

(3) If you think you know which state your ex is living in...contact that state's Department of Motor Vehicles. Many state DMVs have websites. Obtain a form for a vehicle title search...or driver information. Since you are owed arrears, you have a right to locate this person who owes you that. Information such as current address is something that is found on a title.

(4) It can get really confusing when you're doing this by yourself. You can find help. You might check out Maryland Dept of Family Administration Pro Se Assistance - the website is: http://www.courts.state.md.us/family/proseassist.html There is a lot of info there regarding Pro Se Assistance Projects.

Hope some of this helps!

ARTSMOM

Along with all the other good advice here....be very careful using the outside agencies. I am also in Colorado, and have a case through CSE. My ex has been hiding off and on, is in and out of jail, and is now owing over $20,000 in past support. He decided to start using drugs about a year ago, and since then all heck has broken loose. Anyway, because I am not on any public assistance, and am able to provide all support and medical insurance for my children, I am just not a priority in their ever increasing case load. Because of that, I considered using an agency, but, after reading the paperwork, I decided it was not a good idea. The company asked me to sign a paper stating that they were my "representative" and that all paperwork from CSE would go to them. Upon calling CSE, I was informed it would be no different than when you have a lawyer handling any aspect of the divorce or decree. In Colorado, the CSE can only give you basic info, but can only talk to your lawyer of record and give specific details. All paperwork is sent to the lawyer and you have to call them to get info and so on. Only if you do not have a lawyer on record through the courts will they talk to you. This is not something you want an outside agency, basically a collection agency, handling for you. If you can afford it, your much better off just getting a lawyer, and filing in court. You can still garnish wages and file for contempt of court and so on, depending on your case.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">