• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support and Relinquishing Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CivilCybil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hi,

I have no parental rights and pay child support, or at least suppose to pay child support. I originally volunteered to have my child placed in the custody of a family member, because it was apparent that I was struggling mentally; however, DFCS was involved in the placement. Originally there was a reunionification plan, but I struggled to comply, and ultimately lost my parental rights.

During this process, child support was set. It isn't much, based on a minimal wage job. During the time it was set, child support was based on what I was capable of making, not actually making. Unfortunately, there was no consideration that I continued to be disabled from the mental disability and have not been able to maintain any stability to provide child support on a continual basis.

I'm doing better mentally, but I have come to grips with the reality of my parenting skills. I don't believe I should have ever been responsible for the well being of a child, nor do I believe that I have the ability to do so in the future. I don't have an income and am increasing in debt on the child support order.

Everything that I have read about child support shows that law only favors the best interest of the child. I don't disagree with this, however, because I continue to struggle with my mental stability, that affects my financial stability... how can they rule that I am capable of providing child support?

How would I go about initiating a change in the child support order, based on the new laws, showing that I may not be capable of maintaining financial stability based on mental illness?

I had a paralegal not to long ago tell me that I would have to provide case in points to reflect rulings that pertain to my particular case. But I haven't found any that come close.

Antigone*

Hi,

I have no parental rights and pay child support, or at least suppose to pay child support. I originally volunteered to have my child placed in the custody of a family member, because it was apparent that I was struggling mentally; however, DFCS was involved in the placement. Originally there was a reunionification plan, but I struggled to comply, and ultimately lost my parental rights.

During this process, child support was set. It isn't much, based on a minimal wage job. During the time it was set, child support was based on what I was capable of making, not actually making. Unfortunately, there was no consideration that I continued to be disabled from the mental disability and have not been able to maintain any stability to provide child support on a continual basis.

I'm doing better mentally, but I have come to grips with the reality of my parenting skills. I don't believe I should have ever been responsible for the well being of a child, nor do I believe that I have the ability to do so in the future. I don't have an income and am increasing in debt on the child support order.

Everything that I have read about child support shows that law only favors the best interest of the child. I don't disagree with this, however, because I continue to struggle with my mental stability, that affects my financial stability... how can they rule that I am capable of providing child support?

How would I go about initiating a change in the child support order, based on the new laws, showing that I may not be capable of maintaining financial stability based on mental illness?

I had a paralegal not to long ago tell me that I would have to provide case in points to reflect rulings that pertain to my particular case. But I haven't found any that come close.
Help me understand here. You don't have your child(ren) and you don't want to work. Are you on any kind of government aid, so who pays for you to live?

Isis1

so your parental rights have been restricted, not terminated? was the child adopted? where is the other parent?

Banned_Princess

Wait.. were your kids adopted "lost rights" or just the rights to see the kids.

Are you talking just about future payments, or just arrears or both.

Gracie3787

Hi,

Are you recieving SSDI or SSI?
If not, have you applied?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">