• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Retroactive Modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelfaith65

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
I was awarded full physical custody of my 2 sons 3 years ago. My ex changed jobs just before the hearing and significantly increased his income. Because he used his Income from the previous year his child support was low. I haven't had the money to go to court to pursue a child support modification. My oldest son turned 18 in August and my ex filed for modification because of my son's age. My question:is there any way to go back and make my ex pay what he should have been paying for the last 2 years, based on his actual income? Note: because his income is increased so much he actually now has to pay more for my 1 son than he was paying for 2.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
I was awarded full physical custody of my 2 sons 3 years ago. My ex changed jobs just before the hearing and significantly increased his income. Because he used his Income from the previous year his child support was low. I haven't had the money to go to court to pursue a child support modification. My oldest son turned 18 in August and my ex filed for modification because of my son's age. My question:is there any way to go back and make my ex pay what he should have been paying for the last 2 years, based on his actual income? Note: because his income is increased so much he actually now has to pay more for my 1 son than he was paying for 2.
No, there is no way to go back and get a retroactive increase ordered. However, it does make me chuckle that he filed for a modification, expecting a decrease, and got hit with an increase instead. Its kind of poetic justice in this circumstance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">