• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support in Separation Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mre0609

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

HELP! I signed a separation agreement with my husband and the agreement stated that I would request no child support. Our son is 11 years old and we agreed to 50/50 custody in the agreement. My husband kicked me out of our home and moved another woman in, so I am currently having to live with a family member and I am currently laid off from my job only drawing
$800/month unemployment. My husband makes around $3000/month. I now realize that there is no way I can support my son and pay for half of everything he needs. Can I file for child support even though I signed the agreement? Or would I be in breach of contract?

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it!

I know I was STUPID for signing this agreement, but he was so controlling over me I was afraid not to (I know that is no excuse).

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

HELP! I signed a separation agreement with my husband and the agreement stated that I would request no child support. Our son is 11 years old and we agreed to 50/50 custody in the agreement. My husband kicked me out of our home and moved another woman in, so I am currently having to live with a family member and I am currently laid off from my job only drawing
$800/month unemployment. My husband makes around $3000/month. I now realize that there is no way I can support my son and pay for half of everything he needs. Can I file for child support even though I signed the agreement? Or would I be in breach of contract?

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it!

I know I was STUPID for signing this agreement, but he was so controlling over me I was afraid not to (I know that is no excuse).
How long ago did you sign the agreement?...and has it been signed off on by the judge yet?

mre0609

I signed it back in August. Not sure if a judge has signed off on it, I didn't know that a judge would sign off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">