• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support-Shared Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jakeneedshelp

I live in Wisconsin, and my ex and I have a 16 month old child. We have shared custody, so equal nights and decision abilities. I make $55,000, and she makes $30,000. After taxes, I make around $3,000, and My bills are $3,500 will all living expenses. She makes enough money to pay her bills and support herself and half of our child's cost. We have a Child Support hearing in a few weeks, wondering what will happen. If they make me pay child support, I'm going to have to get a second job, on top of the 75 hours I already work in a week, then I won't see my child at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'mTheFather

How do you think the mother manages to live on $25,000 less than you? Maybe you could ask her for some tips on budgeting your money.

Proserpina

I live in Wisconsin, and my ex and I have a 16 month old child. We have shared custody, so equal nights and decision abilities. I make $55,000, and she makes $30,000. After taxes, I make around $3,000, and My bills are $3,500 will all living expenses. She makes enough money to pay her bills and support herself and half of our child's cost. We have a Child Support hearing in a few weeks, wondering what will happen. If they make me pay child support, I'm going to have to get a second job, on top of the 75 hours I already work in a week, then I won't see my child at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Run the numbers through the Wisconsin calculators; this one is very handy: http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/bcs/order/guidelines_tools.htm

You will be paying child support.

Jakeneedshelp

She lives with her parents, so she doesn't pay Rent, electric, or food, just her bills. In addition, she had a job where she made more money than I did, in which she willfully quit. I also pay for insurance for our child, where she does not. We moved from a different state to be close to her family, and I know no one in this state, so I have no means of help like she does, otherwise I would go live with my parents, but they are out of state.

Proserpina

She lives with her parents, so she doesn't pay Rent, electric, or food, just her bills. In addition, she had a job where she made more money than I did, in which she willfully quit. I also pay for insurance for our child, where she does not. We moved from a different state to be close to her family, and I know no one in this state, so I have no means of help like she does, otherwise I would go live with my parents, but they are out of state.
Jake, I get the impression that you're thinking your expenditure counts? Well, your month-to-month bills won't matter.

ETA: when did she quit the job?

Jakeneedshelp

She left her job 5 months ago, and got a job paying $30,000 less after being unemployed for 3 months. During this 3 months, I gave her nearly $5,000 to help pay her bills. I am counting my bills every month, because that is what the court has asked me to do in the paperwork they sent. They ask to outline all costs, car payment, rent, loans, food, electric, etc.

Proserpina

She left her job 5 months ago, and got a job paying $30,000 less after being unemployed for 3 months. During this 3 months, I gave her nearly $5,000 to help pay her bills. I am counting my bills every month, because that is what the court has asked me to do in the paperwork they sent. They ask to outline all costs, car payment, rent, loans, food, electric, etc.
Yes, they ask for the information - but they're not using it for the reasons you're thinking.

You need to request that she is imputed an income equal to what she was earning, and/or what she's capable of earning. Now it might not be possible to get the same money as she would have before but you have nothing to lose by asking.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
O/T So, am I the *only* wanting to ask:

So "Jake from State Farm" - what are you wearing?

:D

LdiJ

Yes, they ask for the information - but they're not using it for the reasons you're thinking.

You need to request that she is imputed an income equal to what she was earning, and/or what she's capable of earning. Now it might not be possible to get the same money as she would have before but you have nothing to lose by asking.
Why she quit will factor into the whole thing as well.

torimac

If you bring home around $3000 but your bills are around $3500 how did you give her $5000 in the past three months? Something is not quite adding up here.

Additionally, if she makes less than you (almost half) and can support herself and half her child's expenses-it's time for you to trim your expenses. Or find a better paying job that doesn't require 75 hours a week. If you are working 75 hours a week, that will not leave much time for you to parent your child. Between the difference in salaries and the difference in parenting time, yes, you will be paying child support.

Proserpina

If you bring home around $3000 but your bills are around $3500 how did you give her $5000 in the past three months? Something is not quite adding up here.

Additionally, if she makes less than you (almost half) and can support herself and half her child's expenses-it's time for you to trim your expenses. Or find a better paying job that doesn't require 75 hours a week. If you are working 75 hours a week, that will not leave much time for you to parent your child. Between the difference in salaries and the difference in parenting time, yes, you will be paying child support.
Mom lives with her parents and she doesn't have anywhere near the same expenses ; she's not supporting herself and half of the child's expenses, in the true sense ... her parents are contributing a significant amount of support.

So why exactly shouldn't the court impute Mom's income at what she's capable of earning?

torimac

I am not saying that mom should not be imputed her previous earning. There is more to this picture. I think we can assume that she did not quit her job due to any issues with the child such as physical or mental health issues as the OP would have mentioned it.

Mom may not be directly supporting her child with a salary, but she has made arrangements that allow her to support her child. She may not have the expenses but she is still supporting her child with the decision to move back in with her folks.

On the other hand...working 75+ hours for a job that (I am assuming due to the income) is salary based? Time to find a new job. Not only will that stress the employee out, he will have not time to be dad. A few years ago I had a job where I worked 55+ hours; my boss let me know that 55 was the minimum he expected me to work. I felt like the only time I saw my child was on the weekends. I found a new job as soon as possible. It took about 6 months, but I found a new job.

And if he is bringing home $3000 and spending $3500? He still needs to cut his expenses even before child support is considered.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Mom lives with her parents and she doesn't have anywhere near the same expenses ; she's not supporting herself and half of the child's expenses, in the true sense ... her parents are contributing a significant amount of support.

So why exactly shouldn't the court impute Mom's income at what she's capable of earning?
Question I have is - how does Jake know she has no expenses at her parents'?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">