• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support/sign over rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rainedays86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. My sons father is in jail for molesting a child and will be there for at least 5 more years. He wants complete control over deciding what goes on with my sons education and anything else. I told him that he chose to put himself in there and I will continue to make the decisions based on what I feel is best for my son. He says if he doesn't get a say so in his sons affairs that he would rather sign over rights so he don't have to pay child support. A friend of mine said that if he signs over his rights that in the state of Texas he will still be required to pay for child support, unless of course my son is adopted, which isn't the case. I don't want to give him an easy out as I feel like it is his financial responsibility as well. I feel like by the choices he has made that he doesn't deserve the option to "tell me" what to do with our son. Please help.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. My sons father is in jail for molesting a child and will be there for at least 5 more years. He wants complete control over deciding what goes on with my sons education and anything else. I told him that he chose to put himself in there and I will continue to make the decisions based on what I feel is best for my son. He says if he doesn't get a say so in his sons affairs that he would rather sign over rights so he don't have to pay child support. A friend of mine said that if he signs over his rights that in the state of Texas he will still be required to pay for child support, unless of course my son is adopted, which isn't the case. I don't want to give him an easy out as I feel like it is his financial responsibility as well. I feel like by the choices he has made that he doesn't deserve the option to "tell me" what to do with our son. Please help.
He doesn't get to just "sign over" anything. A child is a human being, not a car or a house.

You obviously have physical custody. Do your court orders say anything about legal custody?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Texas is one of the few states that DOES allow termination of parental rights without another parent in the wings to adopt.

The father of the child isn't exactly in a position to object to much. How do you feel about dad getting visitation after he gets out of prison? If you would rather not, then termination may be the correct avenue.

It's not like you'll be getting much support while dad is in jail.

Texas is one of the few states that DOES allow termination of parental rights without another parent in the wings to adopt.

The father of the child isn't exactly in a position to object to much. How do you feel about dad getting visitation after he gets out of prison? If you would rather not, then termination may be the correct avenue.

It's not like you'll be getting much support while dad is in jail.
Tend to agree. Is the money worth it? And once he gets out of jail, he may go after joint legal custody, giving him the right to be involved in all the decision making. Court orders can be revisited once he's out.

Think long and hard about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">