• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support and ssd

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drymustard8125

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oklahoma

my sons dad has just been approved for SSD , i recieved a call from the social security administration letting me know my son will be recieving benefits as well per month ,also she told me i would be getting retro benefits from jan 2010...

he is about that far behind on child support and we had a hearing to address the back child support which was pushed back due to the pending disability application

my question is...

the retro payment i will recieve from his benefits, will that satisfy the child support arrears or is that a seperate issue?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oklahoma

my sons dad has just been approved for SSD , i recieved a call from the social security administration letting me know my son will be recieving benefits as well per month ,also she told me i would be getting retro benefits from jan 2010...

he is about that far behind on child support and we had a hearing to address the back child support which was pushed back due to the pending disability application

my question is...

the retro payment i will recieve from his benefits, will that satisfy the child support arrears or is that a seperate issue?
Generally children's benefits on a ncp's disability claim replaces child support and child support arrearages (assuming that the benefits go back as far as the arrearages). Therefore yes, its likely that the back pay will replace his arrearages.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
To make sure it's all done proper and the court involved knows about the SSDI benefits, I'd suggest contacting CSEA (if you have an open case) or an attorney to make sure that Dad is getting proper credit for the SSDI benefits as CS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">