• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support and SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmradatz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin.

My ex husband has retired from the military after 20 years and has also started receiving SSDI, due to PTSD and other stuff. I received a letter that our son would receive $151.00 a month for SSDI, but then he no longer gets child support. That is big difference. The SSDI is also split with my ex husbands 3 other kids that he had and is divorced from as well. Is it possible to receive SSDI and child support? My ex has made the comment that his monthly income is about $6,000.00 a month with SSDI and retirement. That is alot of me compared to my income. :confused:

Thank you

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin.

My ex husband has retired from the military after 20 years and has also started receiving SSDI, due to PTSD and other stuff. I received a letter that our son would receive $151.00 a month for SSDI, but then he no longer gets child support. That is big difference. The SSDI is also split with my ex husbands 3 other kids that he had and is divorced from as well. Is it possible to receive SSDI and child support? My ex has made the comment that his monthly income is about $6,000.00 a month with SSDI and retirement. That is alot of me compared to my income. :confused:

Thank you
Children's benefits don't automatically replace child support. They often do replace child support if the SSDI the parent is receiving is that parent's only income (and if the parent requests to the court that they replace child support). However when the parent has other income, then that other income is included in the child support calculation.

You may need to go back to court on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">