• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support and ssi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel1997

What is the name of your state? kentucky

My question is how can a mother draw ssi on a child and receive a child support check of $600 a month? She is also receiving a medical card on the child and the father pays child support and has insurance through his work on the child. How can I get this investagated or can she do this...

VeronicaGia

angel1997 said:
What is the name of your state? kentucky

My question is how can a mother draw ssi on a child and receive a child support check of $600 a month? She is also receiving a medical card on the child and the father pays child support and has insurance through his work on the child. How can I get this investagated or can she do this...
Does dad have proof? If so, he needs to bring it to the attention of the court.

BL

You do not state , if the child support was Petition from the State on behalf of the mother ( If she receives Aid other than Medical & FS's ) , or weather the mother Petitioned for direct support to her .

It also depends on the Father's income . The State has guidelines .

The SSI may become a Factor , but it's not the only Factor .

haiku

and parents can also have medical cards for thier children, as long as the stae is aware the other parent has the primary coverage.

LdiJ

A child can recieve both SSI and child support. There is nothing illegal, or even particularly unusual about that. SSI for a child is usually due to medical/disability issues.

Someone on SSI qualifies virtually automatically for Medicaid, so there is nothing illegal or particularly unusual about that either. However, as someone else said the father's insurance should be primary in that case.

I supposed that it could be possible for someone to obtain SSI fraudulently.....however people have to jump through some major hoops these days to get either SSI or SSDI...so it certainly wouldn't be easy to get away with it.

However, if she was, and she got caught...its the SSI that would end, not the child support.

Last edited:

angel1997

kentucky

What I don't understand is this? My cousins ex had a medical card on their child plus my cousin had insurance through his work. My cousins ex had to pay the medical card expenses back because she wasn't even supposed to have the medical card. Now my husbands ex is getting SSI and we are sending child support which was ordered when they got a divorce. The child support has been raised to $600 a month plus she is getting SSI on the child of $400 plus we have insurance on him through my husbands work and she has a medical card. My husbands insurance isn't being used she is using the medical card which pays 100% for office visits and any medication the child needs. Our insurance pay 80% and we have a copay of $15 and it has a copay of $20 for brand and $10 for genertic medicine. She is supposed to pay the first $100 of out of the pocket expense and 16% there after. There has to be something that can be done about this but I don't know what. We don't have alot of extra money, but I would like any information I can get. Thank You

LdiJ

angel1997 said:
kentucky

What I don't understand is this? My cousins ex had a medical card on their child plus my cousin had insurance through his work. My cousins ex had to pay the medical card expenses back because she wasn't even supposed to have the medical card. Now my husbands ex is getting SSI and we are sending child support which was ordered when they got a divorce. The child support has been raised to $600 a month plus she is getting SSI on the child of $400 plus we have insurance on him through my husbands work and she has a medical card. My husbands insurance isn't being used she is using the medical card which pays 100% for office visits and any medication the child needs. Our insurance pay 80% and we have a copay of $15 and it has a copay of $20 for brand and $10 for genertic medicine. She is supposed to pay the first $100 of out of the pocket expense and 16% there after. There has to be something that can be done about this but I don't know what. We don't have alot of extra money, but I would like any information I can get. Thank You
Let me try to explain. There are two ways to get medicaid. Either by applying for welfare benefits....or by being eligible for it due to being on SSI.
The qualifications for the two are different.

Your cousin's ex probably applied for welfare benefits, and did not properly disclose that dad was paying child support and providing medical insurance....and did not meet the welfare qualifications once that information was disclosed to the welfare agency.

Obviously, the insurance that your husband provides is supposed to be primary, with medicaid as secondary. That means she is supposed to be providing both insurance cards to the doctor's etc....and they are supposed to be billing your husband's insurance first, and medicaid for the remaining balance (which includes the copays etc). She may not know that. Has your husband provided her with an insurance card?

You do realize that this is also saving you and your husband money as well? Particularly since she is only required to pay 16% of the uninsured medical expenses after the first $100?

A

angel1mom9

My husband and I had a similar situation with his ex. Before he recently got custody, he paid 500/month in support and provided insurance (which was over 300/month) which was never used NOT ONCE! She had a medical card and I suppose she just always used that. I don't know how she got away with it. She was still getting the support for 5 months when their son moved in with his grandma. SES was not helpful at all. Hiring a lawyer was the only answer in our case.
In your case, I definitely don't think she should have the medical card, because your husband is paying for insurance for the child that is not being used. If she's like my husband's ex, she does this cause it's cheaper than paying a copay or anything.
But I don't know much about all that kind of stuff. The advice we were given in our situation was to get a lawyer. You probably won't get far without an attorney if your state is anything like ours.
Good luck!

dharic4

I have 2 kids who receive both SSI and child support and also have medicaid and also blue/cross insurance through my husbands employer.
I worked 13 years at the same job before getting sick and ultimately leaving work and going on ssi. The checks from ssi for the kids each month are based on my past work and is for MY SHARE of their support and has no bearing on my ex husbands child support obligation. As far as Insurance, Once on ssi a person automatically is eligible for medicaid, however, if the non cusodial spouse is able to get insurance through his employer then that is used as primary insurance and medicaid will only cover the uncovered portions, such as co - pays. Medicaid WILL NOT cover a person if other insurance is available. If the non cusodial parent voluntarily cancelled the medical insurance through their job then medicaid still won't pay as primary because the insurance through employer is AVAILABLE. Hence, I believe I am exactly like the person OP is referring to.

I have a 2 year old son that receives SSI. Because he receives SSI, he is eligable for medicade. My husband has him insured on his insurance through his employer. My husband's insurance is the primary insurance and medicade covers all out of pocket expenses my husband's insurance does not cover. This includes deductables, co-pays, etc.

As far as child support goes, my son doesn't receive any because my husband is his father. But, a portion of my husband's income is considered my son's income. This is factored into the SSI equation. So I could easily see where a child could receive both child support and SSI at the same time.

I forgot to add that SSI is constantly re-evaluating our financial situation. If my husband's monthly income changes from month to month, this can effect the SSI payment. Some times it turns out we have an overpayment due to increased wages. We have to pay SSI back the overpayment. You can not keep an overpayment.

Last edited:

haiku

I don't think many people here sometimes realize that your ex qualifying for medicaid SAVES you money, especially if your insurance doesn't cover 100% and you have children who utilize it often....

BL

haiku said:
I don't think many people here sometimes realize that your ex qualifying for medicaid SAVES you money, especially if your insurance doesn't cover 100% and you have children who utilize it often....
Yeh I really don't see the gripe , except not wanting to pay the ins. premiums out of a Paycheck .

But if that's what you were ordered to do you must .

woulda had to anyways , no use griping about it .

No one is committing fraud .

dharic4

Thats right. The original OP seems to think this woman is somehow scamming the system, however, the ex spouse providing the insurance is actually SAVING money. Most all unpaid medical must be split between the two divorced parties, but if she has a medical card to cover the co-pays then he is lucky he's not getting socked with his share of co-pays. Weather or not he provides the primary Insurance is irrelevant.
As far as the ssi and child support payments, the ex's child support has nothing to do with the ssi checks she receives for the children. If she is unable to work and gets disability to pay her share, then the ex spouse is still obligated to pay his share by child support. The ssi money coming into her household is her business and her salary for the kids. I read another post on here where the person referred to ssi disability as WELFARE. WRONG!!!!!!
I worked at my job 13 years and paid into disability benefits just like everyone else and then I became sick and disabled and I am now able to draw off it for myself and the kids. This is NOT welfare. It is NOT income based and child support has NOTHING to do with it. If my ex worked on wall street and paid me 2000 a week in child support, I'd still be entitled to the disability checks for myself and the kids due to the disability. IT IS NOT INCOME BASED and being on disability does not make one loose child support, nor does it release a person from paying support if their kids receive disability on their ex spouse. Your saving money by the ex being on disability and having a medical card for the co-pays so count your blessings and go on with life.

angel1997

kentucky

Will my husband have to pay back what the medical card has paid? Someone told me that when you have a medical card on a child that the ex husband will have to pay the money to the government or the state. Does anyone know if this is true? We have medical insurance and dental insurance on the child through my husbands work. The divorce papers said that my husband pays a % and his ex wife pay a % of the balance not covered.

My sister in law had a medical card on both of her kids and now my brother is having to pay it back and they are still married.

BL

angel1997 said:
kentucky

Will my husband have to pay back what the medical card has paid? Someone told me that when you have a medical card on a child that the ex husband will have to pay the money to the government or the state. Does anyone know if this is true? We have medical insurance and dental insurance on the child through my husbands work. The divorce papers said that my husband pays a % and his ex wife pay a % of the balance not covered.

My sister in law had a medical card on both of her kids and now my brother is having to pay it back and they are still married.
Someone suggested your sister in law may have been also receiving State Aid ( welfare ) where this may have happened .

Is this the case ?

Quote:
LdiJ
Senior Member Join Date: May 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel1997
kentucky

Let me try to explain. There are two ways to get medicaid. Either by applying for welfare benefits....or by being eligible for it due to being on SSI.
The qualifications for the two are different.

Your cousin's ex probably applied for welfare benefits, and did not properly disclose that dad was paying child support and providing medical insurance....and did not meet the welfare qualifications once that information was disclosed to the welfare agency.

Obviously, the insurance that your husband provides is supposed to be primary, with medicaid as secondary. That means she is supposed to be providing both insurance cards to the doctor's etc....and they are supposed to be billing your husband's insurance first, and medicaid for the remaining balance (which includes the copays etc). She may not know that. Has your husband provided her with an insurance card?

You do realize that this is also saving you and your husband money as well? Particularly since she is only required to pay 16% of the uninsured medical expenses after the first $100?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">