• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support and ssi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

art 0410

Hello i live in the state of utah. So here it goes my husband and i have custody of his 4yr old daughter her mother is on ssi because of mental health issues however she is completely capable of working however refuses to go back to work because she is completely comfortable makeing her 800 a month. Our child support order says she is supposed to pay 30$ a month in child support half of daycare and half of insurance and that comes to about 400.00 a month.We have had custody for 2 years and she is now trying to get us to pay for her supervised visits after not paying a single penny of child support.What i want to know is there a way to have ssi garnished or can a person be forced to work and if not held in contempt.We have already gone to our local child enforcement agency who will not garnish ssi.

Silverplum

Hello i live in the state of utah. So here it goes my husband and i have custody of his 4yr old daughter her mother is on ssi because of mental health issues however she is completely capable of working however refuses to go back to work because she is completely comfortable makeing her 800 a month. Our child support order says she is supposed to pay 30$ a month in child support half of daycare and half of insurance and that comes to about 400.00 a month.We have had custody for 2 years and she is now trying to get us to pay for her supervised visits after not paying a single penny of child support.What i want to know is there a way to have ssi garnished or can a person be forced to work and if not held in contempt.We have already gone to our local child enforcement agency who will not garnish ssi.
What? Your name is on the child support & custody orders??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please have one of the legally involved parties log on to ask their own questions. YOU are not a part of the child support order. YOU are owed nothing. YOU can do nothing. Furthermore, YOU have any form of custody, nor are you being asked to pay for supervised visits.

Proserpina

Hello i live in the state of utah. So here it goes my husband and i have custody of his 4yr old daughter her mother is on ssi because of mental health issues however she is completely capable of working however refuses to go back to work because she is completely comfortable makeing her 800 a month.
Well, that's a whole bunch of bull right there. Do you have ANY idea how difficult it is to be approved for disability? Do you have any clue how much harder it is to get approved because of a mental disorder?

Our child support order says she is supposed to pay 30$ a month in child support half of daycare and half of insurance and that comes to about 400.00 a month.We have had custody for 2 years and she is now trying to get us to pay for her supervised visits after not paying a single penny of child support.What i want to know is there a way to have ssi garnished or can a person be forced to work and if not held in contempt.We have already gone to our local child enforcement agency who will not garnish ssi.

No no and bigger no.

SHE CANNOT WORK. SSI can't be garnished, and the court isn't going to hold her in contempt.

You and your husband on the other hand, are pretty nauseating for wanting to leave her with what... $330 or something a month? To live on?

Really.

Just Blue

I would advise you to divorce your husband so you don't "have" to pay for HIS CHILD. See how easy that is? ;)

commentator

The reason you cannot garnish SSI is that it is a "needs based" program, and they have checked the resources that this person has, the work records, AND you can bet your life they've pretty thoroughly investigated her health issues. As someone said, being approved for disability isn't something that happens easily or without pretty good documentation from medical personnel who probably know a lot more than you (or even your husband) know about whether she's "perfectly able to work and just happy sitting around on her $800 a month." (which is about $700 a month, actually.)

And I am positive that this is pretty much what child support enforcement has told your husband while they were refusing to garnish her SSI for child support. And since she's considered to qualify for this program, it is very possible that the courts will require your husband to help with the payment for supervised visitation. Just because she is poor and disabled does not mean she should be totally denied visits with the child she shares with him. Not you.

Isis1

the current cap SSI amount i believe is $784.

so no $800 a month. this is Federal Disability.

which means she is not on SSDI...because she doesn't have enough work credits. which means it's been quite some time since she's worked. that whole approval process for SSI can take years.

child is 4 years old.....hmmm....so not long ago he impregnanted a mentally unstable unemployed woman.

interesting......

Just Blue

the current cap SSI amount i believe is $784.

so no $800 a month. this is Federal Disability.

which means she is not on SSDI...because she doesn't have enough work credits. which means it's been quite some time since she's worked. that whole approval process for SSI can take years.

child is 4 years old.....hmmm....so not long ago he impregnanted a mentally unstable unemployed woman.

interesting......
Which means OP is married to a man that was so low he had sex with a woman that likely may not have had the LEGAL abilty to consent to sex. Yuck. If I were OP I would hire an attorney and seek a divorce.;)

Ladyback1

You do realize that all SSI and SSDI "claims" are recertified on a regular basis (I *think* it is suppose to be every 3 years)? What that means is, whether you believe it or not--she is still disabled due to a mental health issue/condition/diagnosis, and there's not a flipping way on God's green Earth that a family court judge is going to look at this case and force mom to go to work!
As far as being held in contempt: What is that going to accomplish? Not a friggin' thing!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">