• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support State Intervention Procedure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sessna1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Would someone tell me the steps in Texas when a California dad becomes a deadbeat dad and the mother and child (in Texas) file for public assistance?

If you would point me to the url of a relevant thread and/or information, I'll glady go read it.

Thank you, in advance, for your time. I appreciate it.

[I do "pay it forward" at BreastCancer.org - Breast Cancer Treatment Information and Pictures. I started this thread Breast Cancer Topic: Wigs, chemo hair loss. Los Angeles, CA. What have you learned? and ended up answering most of my own questions.]

sessna1

All Right, Sir and Madam...

I know the state of Texas doesn't need my help. I'm thinking about my seven year old nephew who needs food, and his aunt (me) who is on SSDI with no money to spare.

I know y'all have got more important things to do than give me an idea of how Texas works when a decree was issued years ago in California. I know y'all have your own problems, issues, and trials going on.

I would just appreciate some information from someone who "was there," because if I had the knowledge and you asked me - I'd give it to you.

-sessna1

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Mom goes and applies for assistance. When Mom goes to apply for assistance, she also informs them that she has a court order that she needs to have enforced. Mom presents her court order and the state takes it from there.

As far as food right now: There are food banks/churches that still help people out.

sessna1

Thank you.

Thank you, Geekess.

That's all I wanted. I have no sympathy for a dead-beat dad who is really attempting to punish his ex. If a parent wanted more say-so over his or her child's upbringing, that parent has to pay an attorney to set that up if the marriage goes awry. Respect the law, protect the children.

But first, as many posters say, the parents have to be adults, not childish, petty, irrational, and vindictive. The children have to come first. If you can prove the custodial parent is neglecting or abusing the child - short of your withholding child support to compromise the custodial parent's resources and other illegal actions - then, the state can step in.

Children have to be resilient because adults raise them. Children who have refused to grow up usually want children of their own. Biology is strong.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Thank you, Geekess.

That's all I wanted. I have no sympathy for a dead-beat dad who is really attempting to punish his ex. If a parent wanted more say-so over his or her child's upbringing, that parent has to pay an attorney to set that up if the marriage goes awry. Respect the law, protect the children.

But first, as many posters say, the parents have to be adults, not childish, petty, irrational, and vindictive. The children have to come first. If you can prove the custodial parent is neglecting or abusing the child - short of your withholding child support to compromise the custodial parent's resources and other illegal actions - then, the state can step in.

Children have to be resilient because adults raise them. Children who have refused to grow up usually want children of their own. Biology is strong.
No CP EVER ANYWHERE should depend on CS to support their children. They should work at supporting the children themselves and view CS as a happy bonus when it comes.

CourtClerk

Mom goes and applies for assistance. When Mom goes to apply for assistance, she also informs them that she has a court order that she needs to have enforced. Mom presents her court order and the state takes it from there.
Let's not forget that the minute she applies for public assistance, the child support money will be assigned to the State of Texas and mom will get a $50 disregard, with the rest of it going to the great state. She does NOT get welfare + $800. She gets either/or.

Oh, and someone who depends on child support to support/feed/clothe or otherwise take care of the kids is asking for exactly this to happen.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Let's not forget that the minute she applies for public assistance, the child support money will be assigned to the State of Texas and mom will get a $50 disregard, with the rest of it going to the great state. She does NOT get welfare + $800. She gets either/or.

Oh, and someone who depends on child support to support/feed/clothe or otherwise take care of the kids is asking for exactly this to happen.
Well, of course. :p Why should the taxpayers be responsible? :eek:

sessna1

Clarification, Please

Wait. You’re losing me. Please explain what you said to me again.

I agree, CPs have to work to pay for their children.

What is a $50 disregard?

The court ordered child support in CA is about $1,600. That is what the deadbeat dad refuses to pay anymore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">