• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

z-man

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I am asking this question for an ex California resident that is paying child support from the Federated States of Micornesia.
He wants to know if he has to pay back child support payments when the child reaches 18.
In other words is there a statute of limitations on back child support payments that were not made?

Antigone*

Geekess, can you explain?

Are you serious with your answer?
In other words he will have to pay child support until all of his arrears are completely paid off. If at the time the child support order comes to an end, he owes $20m, then he will continue to pay until that debt is paid off.

Also he needs to know that child support does not end automatically. He will need to petition to end it.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I am asking this question for an ex California resident that is paying child support from the Federated States of Micornesia.
US Law only.

z-man said:
He wants to know if he has to pay back child support payments when the child reaches 18.
Who knows? It's not US law governing this.

Perhaps someone in the "Federated States of Micornesia" would know.

z-man said:
In other words is there a statute of limitations on back child support payments that were not made?
See above.

:rolleyes:

jbowman

In other words he will have to pay child support until all of his arrears are completely paid off. If at the time the child support order comes to an end, he owes $20m, then he will continue to pay until that debt is paid off.

Also he needs to know that child support does not end automatically. He will need to petition to end it.
So the answer is NO. NO, there is no statute of limitations of back child support. You owe until its paid (unless this Federated States of Micornesia is different) but in the US, that is the correct answer.

Didnt want anyone to be confused.

proud_parent

So the answer is NO. NO, there is no statute of limitations of back child support. You owe until its paid (unless this Federated States of Micornesia is different) but in the US, that is the correct answer.

Didnt want anyone to be confused.
Many US states do, however, have a statute of limitations for enforcement of past due child support. So far as I know, California is not one of those states.

I can't comment as to how long child support is enforceable in "Micornesia". ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">