• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support tax implications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scottf

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have promptly paid child support for two years now. I am finding out that the tax laws are ridiculous for the person paying the support. The person collecting the support does not pay taxes on it, yet the person paying the child support cannot claim it as a deduction. In my situation, about half of the support money goes to child daycare expenses. I pay the support, then she uses the support money to pay childcare, then is able to claim her childcare expenses as a tax deduction. That is insane.

Is there a way for me to pay the cost of childcare(to claim the deduction), then pay her the remaining balance of the monthly support? I'm looking for any type of tax help here.

just a frustrated dad paying way too much support.
any advice would be helpful.
thanks

Ambr

scottf said:

I have promptly paid child support for two years now. I am finding out that the tax laws are ridiculous for the person paying the support. The person collecting the support does not pay taxes on it, yet the person paying the child support cannot claim it as a deduction. In my situation, about half of the support money goes to child daycare expenses. I pay the support, then she uses the support money to pay childcare, then is able to claim her childcare expenses as a tax deduction. That is insane.

Is there a way for me to pay the cost of childcare(to claim the deduction), then pay her the remaining balance of the monthly support? I'm looking for any type of tax help here.

thanks
Frustrating as it is, you are pretty much out of luck on that one.

djohnson

But to balance it out she can't claim the food she feeds her, the clothes she wears, the roof over her head, or the toilet paper she wipes her butt on. So probably all in all unless your paying a HUGE amount of child support. She is spending more. It doesn't all go to daycare despite how some NCP wants to turn it around.

kat1963

"the roof over her head"
Yes she can, it's called mtg interest that is also tax deductible PLUS he'll never see a dime of equity in the home that he helped provide for now will he? NOPE. YET he’ll PAY taxes on it all!

Scott, next time she takes you back for a modification ask for the child tax deduction for every year (you'll probably end up with every other year but hey, at least it's something right?)

KAT

djohnson

Uh did you read somewhere in here that I missed that she even owned a house? or that it use to belong to them both? or are you just spouting because you are bitter? I agree if it goes back to court it's worth asking for and maybe getting every other year. But I can't stand for someone to think that child support is everything and they should get all the breaks.

DOS2005

reply to scottf

scottf said:

thanks
It just isn't a fair system at all Scott. I am a mom who has full shared responsibility for our kids but they live or lived with him. So I pay support even though I never worked a day when they were growing up infact I worked for him in his business and never made a dime. I had to go to work to pay support for those kids and am still paying and all but one I was paying for are not even eligible. He gets the income tax deductions for having the kids, doesn't have to claim the support as income and basically doesn't use it for them at all. I know it sucks and what is worse I am not able to see my kids by his constant interference but If I don't pay support. I lose my driving license or could be jailed. Talk about a system that needs to be fixed and quickly. It isn't always the people getting the support that are getting screwed. It is the parent paying it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">