• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support and tax issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sboop

What is the name of your state?Massachusetts I recently left an eight year relationship, and during that time we had a child together. Also during that time he never filed his taxes. So now I am wondering when I bring him to court for child support will I even get a child support issued or will he end up paying the state for all unpaid taxes?

LdiJ

sboop said:
What is the name of your state?Massachusetts I recently left an eight year relationship, and during that time we had a child together. Also during that time he never filed his taxes. So now I am wondering when I bring him to court for child support will I even get a child support issued or will he end up paying the state for all unpaid taxes?
Whether or not he has filed/paid his taxes is pretty irrelevant as to whether or not he will be ordered to pay child support. A judge will at least impute minimum wage to him and he will be ordered to pay based on that.

The odds of a child support case triggering an investigation by the IRS or the state regarding his not filing taxes is relatively slim.

He is a twit for not filing tax returns. Either the IRS is going to catch up to him someday and his butt is going to be in a sling...or he will end up an old man with no SS retirement benefits because he worked under the table his whole life.

sboop

MA. He is more than just a twit and is very stupid not to pay his taxes but on my end my concern is more about making him be responsible for our child physically and financially! I don't approve of what he is doing but he will only lose in the end. He also did receive 1099 forms with a much smaller amount of what he is making and I believe the remaining money was given under the table.

nextwife

Obviously, getting child support via tax refund intercepts is not likely to happen until the IRS collects all it feels they are owed.

LdiJ

sboop said:
MA. He is more than just a twit and is very stupid not to pay his taxes but on my end my concern is more about making him be responsible for our child physically and financially! I don't approve of what he is doing but he will only lose in the end. He also did receive 1099 forms with a much smaller amount of what he is making and I believe the remaining money was given under the table.
Realistically...and I am sorry to tell you this.....you should pretty much give up on the idea of receiving any regular support from him.

He has learned how to "play the game". Yes, he will be ordered to pay support based on at least minimum wage, but your opportunities to collect from him are going to be slim to none. He may get jailed now and then and you may get some support occasionally as a result, but honestly there is little chance that you are going to be able to count on it on a consistant basis.

Just take comfort in the fact that in the end...he is only messing himself up. He is the one who is going to end up being a homeless old man....or a man who will still be making arrearage payments when his kids are in their 40's and 50's.

haiku

nextwife said:
Obviously, getting child support via tax refund intercepts is not likely to happen until the IRS collects all it feels they are owed.
and being as it seems he is self employed he likely won't be owed a refund anytime soon even if he was paying his taxes.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">