• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support/Terminate Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lettegrl

What is the name of your state?

In Virginia, never married. Lived together until child 2 1/2. Father in childs life until age 9 and paid support, then denied paternity when met new woman. He filed for paternity tests, we took test with no objection. He has not seen child in over 2 years now, his choice. Pays CS thru court ordered garnishment. My question is, child is going to need orthodonic work. Can this be added to CS order and then if parental rights are terminated, will he still be required to pay for this if its already in order before rights are terminated?
I know it sounds strange but there is a long story behind this, woman and F have since married and she has harrased me thru phone threatening me, called place of employment and I dont want child around this in the future which may or may not happen. Thanks

kat1963

She must not be harassing you too much if you’re still willing to jump into that bull pen with some **** of your own. Sure let’s have him pay a substantial amount for dental work then slip in & terminate his rights once he’s done paying…oh wait, that’s right, you are asking if you terminated his rights would he still be obligated to pay past bills right? Sneaky, sneaky little game….Ten years from now I’m sure your son will look on you highly for it.

You can file whatever you want; it’s up the judge to award it. Dental, probably a good chance. Termination of parental rights without there being a step parent to adopt, in VA support=contact so probably not. But there could be a plus side to filing, potentially losing his child might just encourage him to stop being a weenie & start parenting his kid.

Because I’m being nice today I’m going to warn you. Things have changed since you were last in court. First, mediation is now required. Second since VA never had any real established visitation guidelines they made some. Three weekends EVER month and ALL holidays are split 50/50 as is the summer.

KAT

lettegrl

No at this time she is not, and I have given my D's father every opportunity to see child. He stood up in court after 9 years of visitation, summer vacations and caring for child, telling everyone, "she looks just like me" and said oh i dont think Im the father. No goodbye just stopped visiting child, i have had her in therapy, trying to explain when she asks, why doesnt my daddy love me anymore.
We originally had joint legal custody and he had visitations every other weekend and an agreed upon CS order. Which was working fine for us.
Now he signed away all his visitation and gave me full custody (i did not iniatiate this). After receving call from G/F I was concerned, telling me rules I will follow, dont need to know where my child is. Now this is someone I have never met, only heard about maybe 2 weeks before call. And no I dont want my daughter ever to be around her. There are many other reasons which would take much time, like me having to pick up my daughter because he is too drunk to drive her home, and then to find out later he was arrested for dui with her in car and he was arrested. i was never called or told about this. do you want to hear more of my b*****t.............

AHA

lettegrl said:
No at this time she is not, and I have given my D's father every opportunity to see child. He stood up in court after 9 years of visitation, summer vacations and caring for child, telling everyone, "she looks just like me" and said oh i dont think Im the father. No goodbye just stopped visiting child, i have had her in therapy, trying to explain when she asks, why doesnt my daddy love me anymore.
We originally had joint legal custody and he had visitations every other weekend and an agreed upon CS order. Which was working fine for us.
Now he signed away all his visitation and gave me full custody (i did not iniatiate this). After receving call from G/F I was concerned, telling me rules I will follow, dont need to know where my child is. Now this is someone I have never met, only heard about maybe 2 weeks before call. And no I dont want my daughter ever to be around her. There are many other reasons which would take much time, like me having to pick up my daughter because he is too drunk to drive her home, and then to find out later he was arrested for dui with her in car and he was arrested. i was never called or told about this. do you want to hear more of my b*****t.............
I don't see the problem. Dad and stepmom doesn't want kid with them, you don't want kid around them. As always when it comes to broken homes, the adults get what they want and the poor kid loses out completely. If you are being harrassed by stepmom, then report it to the cops. If you want dad to help pay for kid's dental work, go to court and try and get the money from him. Apart from that, focus on your kid instead of bickering with dad and stepmom like teenagers. If you have full custody and dad wants nothing to do with the kid, change your phone number so stepmom can't call you. Make sure dad pays cs, but apart from that, move on with your life with your kid and leave dad and stepmom in the past.

VeronicaGia

lettegrl said:
After receving call from G/F I was concerned, telling me rules I will follow, dont need to know where my child is. Now this is someone I have never met, only heard about maybe 2 weeks before call. And no I dont want my daughter ever to be around her. ........
This is not up to you, it's up to a judge. What you want or don't want won't matter. Your life, his life and the child's life are now ruled over by the courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">