• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support and terminating parental rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigger22472

gemini1970 said:
What is the name of your state? AZ

My attorney told me that once parental rights are terminated
then child support is no longer a requirement, however, in this
brochure from the AZ state bar association's website it says that
the parent is legally responsible for paying child support.

http://www.azbar.org/LegalResources/PubInfoBrochures/DivorceAndChildren_ENGLISH1.cfm

Which should I believe, my attorney or the state bar??
Is there an adoption being planned with a TPR? What are the grounds for the TPR?

I would show this to your attorney and ask him to show you the statute for this.

gemini1970

The father of my child mentioned terminating his parental rights
probably because he thought he could get out of paying child support
this way.

tigger22472

gemini1970 said:
The father of my child mentioned terminating his parental rights
probably because he thought he could get out of paying child support
this way.

Easy way to fix that is to not agree.

I imagine that site AND your attorney are correct, however, I could be wrong. First you always have to consider the reason for the TPR. I mean if your ex was say for instance, a child molester, he might lose 'rights' to the child but I couldn't see the state not still requiring support. I also suspect that the site's idea of TPR and your lawyers is different. A parent has a 'right' to visitation. That right can be terminated, but that doesn't mean they lose 'rights' per se.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">