• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas
My husband's child support was modified in Jan. It has always been automatically withdrawn from his check. The same amount that he was paying before has still been coming out of his check. It shows on the website that those two months were voluntary payments (not for a specific cause number) My husband called on Friday to see if his employer had received the new court order, so they faxed it to his employer. We didn't want it to show that he was behind. What do we do next? We had planned on sending the difference one month, and then the next, since it is a substantial amount if we pay all at once. Is this the right thing to do?

ceara19

Any time the entire amount of court ordered support is not garnished from a persons check, they are responsible to send the rest in themselves. The address to send it to will be in the court order or can be found on the OAG website. Just be sure to send it in a manner that can be traced in case any questions arise.

Does the fact that the website says those last 2 payments are voluntary make any difference? We have already sent the difference for the first month. It will be credited to the newest cause number, correct?

Contact OAG...

The AG's office will have to fix their accounting mess...you're at their mercy. Chances are, you're not going to be dealing with rocket scientists or even someone who gives-a-rats-patoot. I have had mixed results when dealing with the OAG.

Two years ago, I went through a support modification in TX. I paid the increased amount from the time of the modification. 18 months later, the AG's website suddenly reflected that I was nearly $20K in arrears.

When I called the AG's staff, I got the run-around from the frontline. Couldn't even get a call back within 10 days. After receiving a collection notice from the OAG, I called my att'y -- it only took one call from her and the next day it was fixed.

Good luck!

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
Does the fact that the website says those last 2 payments are voluntary make any difference? We have already sent the difference for the first month. It will be credited to the newest cause number, correct?
I take it that he had been paying through the county up until the modification in January. As long as the payments are made, it doesn't matter HOW, as long as the money is paid. It takes a while for the OAG to connect the cases, if you receive any type of letter from the OAG about arrears that have already been paid, have your husbands lawyer call to get it straightened out.

ceara19

Inquiry123 said:
I agree with ceara. Also, the "cause number" will ultimately be the same if I'm not mistaken.
Even worse, just in case there is one person left that hasn't been completely confused by the system. the CP's CIN and the NCP's CID are DIFFERENT!

Thank you for your replies. We have had bad experiences with the AG's office in the past, so I am very careful about putting cause numbers, etc on the paperwork. Several years ago, my husband suddenly gets a letter that he is $13,000 in arrears, when had NEVER missed a payment, always had it garnished from his paycheck, and was even ahead. We had to hire an attorney to get it straightened out because he is in law enforcement and he can't be in that arresting other people if he doesn't even have a driver's license!:D Anyway, thank you again**************.

Also, they did give us a different cause number after the modification, but as long as it is being paid, it shouldn't matter, right?

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
Thank you for your replies. We have had bad experiences with the AG's office in the past, so I am very careful about putting cause numbers, etc on the paperwork. Several years ago, my husband suddenly gets a letter that he is $13,000 in arrears, when had NEVER missed a payment, always had it garnished from his paycheck, and was even ahead. We had to hire an attorney to get it straightened out because he is in law enforcement and he can't be in that arresting other people if he doesn't even have a driver's license!:D Anyway, thank you again**************.

Also, they did give us a different cause number after the modification, but as long as it is being paid, it shouldn't matter, right?
I know how it feels. Out of nowhere last November I got a letter from them that said my ex owed $0 in arrears! When I called them, they said that was what their system was showing, but they couldn't explain to me where the $30K + went to! I KNOW it didn't come to me. They finally got it straightened out, but I had to hound them for weeks about it.

What is the deal with them?????????????? We are counting down the months! Just a little over a year and we will never have to deal with them again!:eek:

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
What is the deal with them?????????????? We are counting down the months! Just a little over a year and we will never have to deal with them again!:eek:
The case workers don't have a clue as to what the law actually is. They only know what they are told. If anything about the case doesn't fall under what "normally" happens, they're LOST. I made one case worker cry in court when she was shown up in front of the judge. She was trying to make me look like this horrible person just because I didn't agree to the solution she suggested. When the judge reviewed all of the evidence from both sides, he told her he wouldn't have signed the agreement either. They finally assigned an actual lawyer to deal with me after I went through about half a dozen case workers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">