• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TX99

What is the name of your state? TX

This is a strange story, but I hope someone can give some advice. Almost 19 years ago, I had an affair with a married woman. (yes, I know I was young and very stupid). She got pregnant and after having the child, she said it was not mine. I went on with my life and met a great woman and got married.
Out of the blue, I receive from the attorney general, a child support notice for the kid from the fling almost 19 years ago and 6 months from the kids 18th birthday. Well needless to say I was shocked. Well after a DNA test, it was proved I was indeed the father. I am now faced with paying child support for a kid I never knew I had. (Yes, I'm being honest, I never knew I had.) Apparently, her ex-husbands name is on the birth certificate and sheor he wants that changed. I really don't know what to do, will I end up paying after all this time? Can I fight this thing and have a real chance of winning? Please help.

LdiJ

TX99 said:
What is the name of your state? TX

This is a strange story, but I hope someone can give some advice. Almost 19 years ago, I had an affair with a married woman. (yes, I know I was young and very stupid). She got pregnant and after having the child, she said it was not mine. I went on with my life and met a great woman and got married.
Out of the blue, I receive from the attorney general, a child support notice for the kid from the fling almost 19 years ago and 6 months from the kids 18th birthday. Well needless to say I was shocked. Well after a DNA test, it was proved I was indeed the father. I am now faced with paying child support for a kid I never knew I had. (Yes, I'm being honest, I never knew I had.) Apparently, her ex-husbands name is on the birth certificate and sheor he wants that changed. I really don't know what to do, will I end up paying after all this time? Can I fight this thing and have a real chance of winning? Please help.
This is odd.....was their any indication in the paperwork whether or not the AG was looking for retroactive support?...is there any indication that mom has been on any kind of state aid?

Unless significant retroactive support is involved you won't be liable for very long....but yes, you WILL be liable and you can't fight it...Sorry.

I hope that you get the chance to establish a relationship with your son. It will be tricky at this point...but it could be something very rewarding for you both.

TX99

It appears that all that the state can go back is four years. But I was hoping that since this was not filed until a few months ago that it would start from the time filed. This is really upsetting to me because she can take me back four years, but I can never get back any of the time I lost with this kid. I feel obviously she didn't need the money or she would have come forward sooner. Hopefully it will turn out alright, but now it all seems so horrible, not to mention what this has done to my marriage of over 10 years.

TX99 said:
It appears that all that the state can go back is four years. But I was hoping that since this was not filed until a few months ago that it would start from the time filed.
May I suggest that if you want to have the possibility of avoiding the 4-year support bill you need to find a good Family Law att'y in the county that the case will be heard. If you don't mind paying for the 4-year period, you can do-it-yourself with the help of the AG's office.

Just out of curiosity -- how did ya'll determine that the kid wasn't yours 19 years ago? In spite of the effects this has had on your marriage to a great woman, I wonder what effects this has had on the relationship between everybody on the other side of the suit...that's gotta be a mess, too.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">