• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

turtle4444

I live in Texas, have been married for over 3 years, and am raising a child and a step-daughter who is in junior high. My wife was married to a local police officer for over 10 years, but has no written agreement on child support. We all agreed on 400 a month, but recently he decided to reduce it to 250 a month. I know he makes over 50 thousand as an officer, but my wife and I agree that we don't want to make it difficult for him as he is now raising 2 step children of his own now. However, the 250 isn't helping as we would like. She is in basketball, track, band, chruch events, etc. What can we do to bump the payments back up to the agreed upon 400 without having to go to court? Should we get a lawyer? If we do that, my step-daughter would almost assuredly get the short end of the stick any time she visited her dad. He already states that he has to pay "allimony" instead of child support. We are trying to get his help without further hindering her already shaky relationship with her dad. He is her father and has every right to be involved with his child, but I don't want to push him out of her life, which is happening already. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">