• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support through Govn't Assistance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jessicathack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Two years ago my wife and I separated and I took our three children (she had been kicked out of the place she was staying and couldn't physically keep children). I proceeded to file for Govn't assistance and in turn received notification that child support would also attempt to be established against my wife. She was arrested and held in jail for 5 days for said child support until "released per judge". Recently she has filed for divorce and stated she wants custody and child support. In the packet I was served she stated under oath that she was unaware of any current child support orders. I wouldn't imagine she'd say that under oath if it were an active case. Yet I've called and they said she owes over 15 thousand dollars. Can anyone explain this to me, please?

justalayman

Are you still recieving gov assistance? If so there is likely an active child support order whether she acknowledges it or not. If you are no longer recieving gov assistance the support order would have been terminated although there are obviously arrears from the order still outstanding.

Of course your wife may be interpreting the question as referring to an order initiated by you with money being owed to you. There isn't a way to guess why she answered as she did.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Two years ago my wife and I separated and I took our three children (she had been kicked out of the place she was staying and couldn't physically keep children). I proceeded to file for Govn't assistance and in turn received notification that child support would also attempt to be established against my wife. She was arrested and held in jail for 5 days for said child support until "released per judge". Recently she has filed for divorce and stated she wants custody and child support. In the packet I was served she stated under oath that she was unaware of any current child support orders. I wouldn't imagine she'd say that under oath if it were an active case. Yet I've called and they said she owes over 15 thousand dollars. Can anyone explain this to me, please?
Is this a same sex marriage? That matters....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">