• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support and two jobs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dfly2

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I am this close to divorcing my husband and have a question about what is used to figure child support. We have two children and he has worked both a full time job and a part time job (by his choice) for most of our marriage. He says he will quit the part time job (to be spiteful) if he has to so that they can only use his full time job to figure support. Don't the courts have to look at past income for both jobs? If he purposely quits, can't he still be held accountable for a higher amount of support? Thanks for your reply.

nagol818

Just to point out

Quiting his part time job would be cutting off his nose to spite his face.
Less income=less for living expenses and his kids

Last edited:

angel1997

to answer your question

Kentucky

Most states use a formula. They take the fathers gross and the mothers gross income to determine what the other person pays. If the mother is unemployed they add in what she would make if she was working making minimum wage at 40 hours a week. The state doesn't go back and use what the person was making they use what is current.

nextwife

nagol818 said:
Quiting his part time job would be cutting off his nose to spite his face.
Less income=less for living expenses and his kids
You know, I worked two jobs for about ten years when I was younger. To save money to buy a house, to build up a savings balance, to get all my household acquisitions in place (furnish the home, buy art, etc.). The plan was to STOP working a second job when I got that accomplished. I don't think it is out of line for a parent to want to STOP working a second job so that they can spend more time with their child once they have acheived the economic goals that precipitated a second job. And NO, my child is not in any way deprived by having more time to spend with me and my having a less income. A person should NOT have to be locked into working a second job forever- especially once they no longer have the opportunity to see their ki in the morning before work and at night when they get home from work. They need MORE flexibilty with their schedule once they become a NCP so they can have time available to spend with their child.

nagol818

nextwife said:
You know, I worked two jobs for about ten years when I was younger. To save money to buy a house, to build up a savings balance, to get all my household acquisitions in place (furnish the home, buy art, etc.). The plan was to STOP working a second job when I got that accomplished. I don't think it is out of line for a parent to want to STOP working a second job so that they can spend more time with their child once they have acheived the economic goals that precipitated a second job. And NO, my child is not in any way deprived by having more time to spend with me and my having a less income. A person should NOT have to be locked into working a second job forever- especially once they no longer have the opportunity to see their ki in the morning before work and at night when they get home from work. They need MORE flexibilty with their schedule once they become a NCP so they can have time available to spend with their child.
Agreed and I have worked one job, two jobs, no jobs in my parental lifetime too. However, based on what the OP posted, the father would be quiting his second job to be spiteful. Nowhere does she say that he is quiting to spend more time with the kids. And if he's quiting the second job just to be spiteful then he will be hurting himself and his kids by bringing home less money.

Last edited:
My ex didn't quit his job, he just minimized his hours significantly, and started doing unreported under the table jobs. Funny for him though, they looked at the prior years' taxes. So I guess I'll be ok, until, or if, I need an adjustment. If he's minimizing the workload to make time with the kids (which sounds like he would have) thats one thing. But did he really spend time with him that much when you were around, working so much? You'll never understand an ex's motives!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">