• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support in TX/TN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hyperionsnipedu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I'm a full time student receiving BAH from the VA. How much can they take monthly for child support on 1 child? Can they even take child support from me since I'm a full time student? I've been in school since January and I missed a call from the Tennessee Child Support office today, should I pick up the nest time they call or retain a lawyer first? Do I need a lawyer?

Since I'm not court ordered to pay child support, should I stop sending money to her, cause they'll only see it as a gift anyways?

I just need some help, I am willing to pay what I can for child support, just don't want to them to overinflate it and I don't want to have to support her other child and her drug dealing bf.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I'm a full time student receiving BAH from the VA. How much can they take monthly for child support on 1 child? Can they even take child support from me since I'm a full time student? I've been in school since January and I missed a call from the Tennessee Child Support office today, should I pick up the nest time they call or retain a lawyer first? Do I need a lawyer?

Since I'm not court ordered to pay child support, should I stop sending money to her, cause they'll only see it as a gift anyways?

I just need some help, I am willing to pay what I can for child support, just don't want to them to overinflate it and I don't want to have to support her other child and her drug dealing bf.
Yes they can order you to pay child support. You don't have the luxury of being a full time student. You need to support your child. Especially since you apparently don't have much of a relationship with said child. And you can be ordered to pay a straight percentage of an imputed wage. Which could be more than your BAH.

Silverplum

You don't get to decide how much you can afford to pay: each state has their own system, and this one is for TN: http://www.state.tn.us/humanserv/is/incomeshares.shtml.

Luckily for you, TN uses an "income shares" model. You might as well call TN CS back: once granted, child support usually goes back to the date of filing. No use delaying it. There's also no use in a Texas attorney: you'd need one in TN. But I think lawyers are a waste of money when it comes to determining child support because it's all just numbers and standard guidelines. When you need an attorney is when you're setting up parenting time and joint legal custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">