• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support for unborn child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tawnyasherrie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
Can you apply for child support, for a child that is not yet born?
I am approx 8 months pregnant and I know I will be the custodial parent, the father has ran off to Georgia and has no plans to provide support.
How hard will it be to get support if I don't have his current address or SSC#?

Thanks,
TawnyaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
Can you apply for child support, for a child that is not yet born?
I am approx 8 months pregnant and I know I will be the custodial parent, the father has ran off to Georgia and has no plans to provide support.
How hard will it be to get support if I don't have his current address or SSC#?

Thanks,
TawnyaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Not going to happen.

When the baby is born, you can then file to establish paternity and child support. Until then, there is no child to support (legally speaking, anyway), and there is no legal father.

How difficult it will be is anyone's guess really and realistically if he's really determined not to pay, he's not going to pay.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Not going to happen.

When the baby is born, you can then file to establish paternity and child support. Until then, there is no child to support (legally speaking, anyway), and there is no legal father.

How difficult it will be is anyone's guess really and realistically if he's really determined not to pay, he's not going to pay.
That doesn't mean that you shouldn't file however, it just means that you shouldn't count on the money in your monthly budget.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not going to happen.

Actually she may be able to file now however it will be held in abeyance until the child is born.

Proserpina

Actually she may be able to file now however it will be held in abeyance until the child is born.
And depending on the outcome of a paternity test? Or would it be default unless he actively disputed it?

(Thank you both for clarifying - I got me some darn good teachers here lol)

tawnyasherrie

Child support for unborn child.

Thanks for your advice.

He is the father I know he will be supportive we get along but we just haven't talked since I got pregnant and he's pretty upset I didn't have an abortion.
So I can file after the child is born or before but it will be held in abeyance?
I'll wait until she is born less than a month to go now.

Thanks
Tawnya

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">