• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Unit Put a Lein on My Joint Bank Account without Notice!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gcruz1021

What is the name of your state?New York State :mad: undefined

I was unemployed for the last 6months and had been receiving unemployment checks. The Child Support unit had been garnishing a portion of my check towards child support. However the Labor office had informed me that I would no longer be receiving any checks based on the allowed time I had been employed. Therefore, I was basically unable to make any payments. I am remarried and have a 6 year old with my wife and another due in July. Our bank accounts are joint and due to my unemployed status, she has been monetarily providing for our family. I have recently started a job on Feb. 21 2005, working part-time 3 days a week and received my first paycheck on March 4, 2004. To my surprise I attempted to access our bank account and was told that the Support Unit had put a Freeze on our account due to child support arrears. I had contacted the Customer Service department and they simply referred me to the agency on 151 west Broadway. I had not received any prior notices regarding this matter and I now run the risk of losing my current job due my having to appear in person to debate this case with the Child Support Unit in NYC. Keep in mind that I have never fallen behind on my payments and the support unit has always taken a portion of any paycheck that I had received. This is unfair to me, my wife and of course my children. My question is how can I fight this? PS: My oldest daughter and I have a Beautiful relationship that does not need to be diminished due to this matter.

nextwife

If you'd been behind in CS, WHY in heaven's name did you allow your wife to put HER income into an account that had YOUR name on it? She should have been maintaining her own seperate accounts, and NOT comingling her earnings with yours. I've been married 10 years, and I maintained seperate savings and checking just IN CASE hubby ever was suddenly sick/disabled and had a problem keeping up CS payments. It is very foolish for a spouse of a CS obligor to not have their earnings going into their own, seperate account.

gcruz1021

The "Foolish" comment can be toned Mrs. In case you've read carefully, I have kept up with payments, and just like normal human beings, you take for granted that this would ever happened. So I commend you for continuing to keep your bank acount separate from hubby's. But you live and learn!!!! :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">