• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support unjustified was unemployed and was taken to the cleaners HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MistyDean81

VIRGINIA

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am a former VA resident looking for some legal help/guidance or possibly even legal representation in my current child support obligation. Though it is complicated I will explain to the best of my ability. All dates take place last year (2010).
_On February 2, 2010 I was terminated from my job as a truck driver, at this time my children were residing with their father and I was providing child support to him on a cash basis per his request, no court or DCSE order.
_On March 20, 2010 the children were moved to their Grandparents due to neglect and lack of care on their father's part.
_On May 7, 2010 due to lack of employment in VA I decided to make a move to TX in search of work with hopes of regaining custody of my children.
_Shortly after the move to TX, June 28th, I received a forwarded package of mail from my former residence in VA. In it were notices from child support enforcement indicating that a request for child support had been filed.
_The obligation is based on my previous employment because they say that my termination from employment was voluntary. I could understand them basing it on that if I had lost my job after the process started or even after the children moved into their grandparents.
_I still have yet to find employment and I understand what the problem is as of yesterday. When I moved to TX I obtained a TX driver's license and surrendered my VA license at that time. Months afterwards they suspended my privilege to drive in VA a license that I had already surrendered. Keep in my I still have a valid TX license. But to the trucking industry I am "unisurable". Thus, the child support is keeping me from working. The amount child support ordered is not the state minimum for an unemployed NCP of $65 per month but $860 per month. I did appeal the decision last year and didn't get anywhere with it. But now knowing it is keeping me from getting a job I have to deal with it.
_On June 14, 2011 the grandparents who still have custody moved to GA with the children and are again receiving child support through social services. Which by the time a new order comes from GA I will hopefully be more prepared to deal with the situation. However, that leaves the VA obligation at hand and in just more than a years time I have racked up almost $9000 in arrears. Any help or guidance will be much appreciated and if further information is needed please let me know. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">