• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support until 18 or graduates question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texas -

After over a yr, ex and I ended up in mediation in November, paperwork was finally sent out for our review two months ago. Just spoke to ex and he says he is refusing to sign off on it and we can go to court. He says he has numerous "issues" but the main one is as follows:

He contacted the Equal Rights for Fathers and they told him my attorney was trying to pull a fast one on him because of the wording of the support orders:

It is ORDERED that DAD is obligated to pay and shall pay to MOM cs in the amount of ____ until

1. the child reaches the age of eighteen years or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later, subject to the provisions for support beyond the age of eighteen years set out below:

2. the child marries:

3. the child dies: or

4. the child's disabilities are otehrwise removed for general purposes.

If the child is eighteen years of age and has not graduated from high school, it is ordered that DAD's obilgations to pay support to MOM shall not terminate but shall continue for as long as the child is enrolled

Dads saying this is ridiculous and he will not be paying for a 20 yr old in high school if he fails. He actually just stated to me on the phone that IF forbid son gets into the wrong crowd and starts messing up in school he'll be damned if he is going to continue supporting him. My response was to simply say..."Yeah, totally...if he messes up I won't feed him or care for him either, he is on his own". Son is 7 yrs old and of course loves school and makes good grades and I picture him graduating with honors and going on to Harvard. :eek:)

He says this is not standard and I am trying to pull a fast one on him.

1. Is this standard TX code? I always thought it was.....

2. Since we went to mediation and this portion of the papers wasn't talked about...does this mean we have to go BACK to mediation? I didn't even think to address this in mediation.What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

bonkers101 said:
Texas -

After over a yr, ex and I ended up in mediation in November, paperwork was finally sent out for our review two months ago. Just spoke to ex and he says he is refusing to sign off on it and we can go to court. He says he has numerous "issues" but the main one is as follows:

He contacted the Equal Rights for Fathers and they told him my attorney was trying to pull a fast one on him because of the wording of the support orders:

It is ORDERED that DAD is obligated to pay and shall pay to MOM cs in the amount of ____ until

1. the child reaches the age of eighteen years or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later, subject to the provisions for support beyond the age of eighteen years set out below:

2. the child marries:

3. the child dies: or

4. the child's disabilities are otehrwise removed for general purposes.

If the child is eighteen years of age and has not graduated from high school, it is ordered that DAD's obilgations to pay support to MOM shall not terminate but shall continue for as long as the child is enrolled

Dads saying this is ridiculous and he will not be paying for a 20 yr old in high school if he fails. He actually just stated to me on the phone that IF forbid son gets into the wrong crowd and starts messing up in school he'll be damned if he is going to continue supporting him. My response was to simply say..."Yeah, totally...if he messes up I won't feed him or care for him either, he is on his own". Son is 7 yrs old and of course loves school and makes good grades and I picture him graduating with honors and going on to Harvard. :eek:)

He says this is not standard and I am trying to pull a fast one on him.

1. Is this standard TX code? I always thought it was.....

2. Since we went to mediation and this portion of the papers wasn't talked about...does this mean we have to go BACK to mediation? I didn't even think to address this in mediation.What is the name of your state?

You have started eighteen (18) other threads, many of them on this subject.

Post in one of the prior threads you started on child support questions.

?

:confused: This has been a long drawn out process and I do not believe I have asked this question before as it just came up today. I didn't even have the new paperwork until very recently.

Edited - just read through my old threads and nope, nothing on this topic...

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it, thank you.

Last edited:

fairisfair

no this is not standard, what is standard is that the child support be paid until the child is 18 years or age, or graduates from high school, or turns 19 years of age, whichever happens first.

really? So if son turns 18 in August the week after senior yr starts, support payments should stop? I would assume that as long as the child is attending high school, that both parents would continue to support the child. guess that's what I get for assuming....

Great, back to the drawing board...

fairisfair

bonkers101 said:
really? So if son turns 18 in August the week after senior yr starts, support payments should stop? I would assume that as long as the child is attending high school, that both parents would continue to support the child. guess that's what I get for assuming....

Great, back to the drawing board...
no, if he is 18 and then he graduates, then it stops when he graduates, if he is 19 and he still has not graduated, then it stops when he is 19, or when he graduates, whichever happens first. I guess I could have said that better, it was confusing when I re read it too.

Sorry, Dad...read it and weep...

fairisfair said:
no, if he is 18 and then he graduates, then it stops when he graduates, if he is 19 and he still has not graduated, then it stops when he is 19, or when he graduates, whichever happens first. I guess I could have said that better, it was confusing when I re read it too.
19? Could you point that out to me...?

Start reading here...

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/FA/content/htm/fa.005.00.000154.00.htm#154.001.00

...and continue to here...

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/FA/content/htm/fa.005.00.000154.00.htm#154.006.00

And I'm not even saying that most Texan's can't make it out of high school before 19! ;) Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">