• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support urgent help!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

burken

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My boyfriend of 6 years and father of both of my children and I had a court hearing for child support and he never showed up. An the court informed me tht his attorney has requested a continuance. Well, his attorney was asking about us and how long we were together and he told him 6 years, and that we split up for a month or so before i found out i was pregnant with my youngest. Well the attorney was saying something about doing a paternity test on my youngest since we split up for not even a month. An he signed the paper when they were both born stating he was the father, and his name is on both of the birth certificates. Is it possible for his attorney to make us do a paternity test?
If he has an attorney do i need to bring one? all this is is to determine how much he will pay in child support. I have the kids 90 percent of the time and he only has them 10 percent. Is he going to be able to get his child support lowered because he has an attorney? Do I need to get one?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My boyfriend of 6 years and father of both of my children and I had a court hearing for child support and he never showed up. An the court informed me tht his attorney has requested a continuance. Well, his attorney was asking about us and how long we were together and he told him 6 years, and that we split up for a month or so before i found out i was pregnant with my youngest. Well the attorney was saying something about doing a paternity test on my youngest since we split up for not even a month. An he signed the paper when they were both born stating he was the father, and his name is on both of the birth certificates. Is it possible for his attorney to make us do a paternity test?
If he has an attorney do i need to bring one? all this is is to determine how much he will pay in child support. I have the kids 90 percent of the time and he only has them 10 percent. Is he going to be able to get his child support lowered because he has an attorney? Do I need to get one?

Is there a chance your youngest isn't your boyfriend's child?

(Otherwise there'd be no panic about a paternity test, yes?)

How old is the youngest?

burken

My youngest is almost 9 months old. An no I am 98 percent sure he is the father. There was another guy but it was once, and pertection was used, and the conception date and everything else matches up to my ex being the father. Do i need to get an attorney if he has one?

Proserpina

My youngest is almost 9 months old. An no I am 98 percent sure he is the father. There was another guy but it was once, and pertection was used, and the conception date and everything else matches up to my ex being the father. Do i need to get an attorney if he has one?

Then yes, Dad has at least a shot at getting a paternity test ordered.

And yes - if Dad has an attorney, you'd be best advised to hire one too.

burken

even if its just for child support? What would happen if I cant afford one? Im a single mother two kids, trying to find a job. I was always a stay at home mom. What advantages would he have if i didnt have an attorney? would it affect the amount of child support?

TinkerBelleLuvr

An he signed the paper when they were both born stating he was the father, and his name is on both of the birth certificates. Is it possible for his attorney to make us do a paternity test?
So, he has been the named father for 9 months on the youngest?

burken

Yes, he signed both papers wavin the right for paternity test stating he is the father of both of them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is possible for him to rescind the paternity acknowledgment that you and he signed...

TinkerBelleLuvr

http://dcf.wi.gov/bcs/vpa_withdrawal.htm

If you change your mind . . .

If you change your mind, you can withdraw the Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgment form if a court has not yet ruled on a family matter involving the father, mother, and child.

Either the mother or the father may mail a completed Request to Withdraw Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgment form to the state Office of Vital Records. The Request to Withdraw Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgment form must be filed within 60 days of filing the Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgment form but before a court rules on a family matter involving the father, mother, and child.

burken

Ok, well with him having an attorney, whats that going to do with the amount he will have to pay in child support? Is it going to hurt me or screw me over if i dont have an attorney?

Proserpina

WI allows 60 days in which the father can change his mind; however he can still file to disestablish after that point if he can prove fraud, duress or - and this is the biggy - material mistake of fact.

I think he has a chance.

Proserpina

Ok, well with him having an attorney, whats that going to do with the amount he will have to pay in child support? Is it going to hurt me or screw me over if i dont have an attorney?

Child support will be set according to state guidelines, not what his attorney recommends or says.

burken

I havent been served with anything, we were just supposed to have a hearing stating how much child support he would have to pay. He went an got an attorney because his mom thought he was gonna get screwed paying more in child support if he didnt. I have the kids over 90 percent of the time he only has them 4 days out of the month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">