• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support versus work comp settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

round 1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

Hello my ex recently won a large work comp settlement but she owes alot of back support..so my question is. How much of a persentage does cp garnish from the award?

ecmst12

IF you can get a lein on the settlement, it would be up to the full amount he owes. There's not a percentage limit like with wage garnishment.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

Hello my ex recently won a large work comp settlement but she owes alot of back support..so my question is. How much of a persentage does cp garnish from the award?
What a great opportunity for your ex to pay off her debt, dontcha think;)

torimac

move quickly...

My ex won a large settlement also. It took CA child support office a year to collect anything and by then, only $500 of the $20000+ was in the bank account and that was probably a paycheck, not the settlement.
Work with your local child support office on this, but move quickly. Don't expect them to know that there is a settlement out there.

CSO286

Work with your local child support office on this, but move quickly. Don't expect them to know that there is a settlement out there.

This is good advice. If CSED knows about it before the NCP gets the settlement, they can contact the employer, the WC ins company and the attorneys involved and be able to intercept the money before a check ever gets cut to the ncp.....

mistoffolees

This is good advice. If CSED knows about it before the NCP gets the settlement, they can contact the employer, the WC ins company and the attorneys involved and be able to intercept the money before a check ever gets cut to the ncp.....
It may be worth getting a lawyer involved to make sure the paperwork is done before the money is disbursed.

CSO286

It may be worth getting a lawyer involved to make sure the paperwork is done before the money is disbursed.

I would say it really does depend on how far along in the process they are. The handful of times I've done it at work, I got in on the process early enough that by the end, I just needed to submit updated Affidavits for the amount owed.....(So, I've probably been quite fortunate.)

mistoffolees

I would say it really does depend on how far along in the process they are. The handful of times I've done it at work, I got in on the process early enough that by the end, I just needed to submit updated Affidavits for the amount owed.....(So, I've probably been quite fortunate.)
I doubt if all child support collection agencies are as efficient as you are. ;)

In any event, I don't know if it would help, but just wanted to make the suggestion - because it might.

Oh you know-- the "he" that didn't pay, because only DADS are deadbeats....sigh

Even when the OP put SHE in the post, people still play that gender game without thinking.

ecmst12

I was at work and skimming. Gender is irrelevent - the statement applies regardless of what kind of junk the obligor has in the trunk.

round 1

Thanks for all that replied..found out the check was already givin to her and of course she denied ever getting a dime

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">