• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support and visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

just_chilin19

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?california
my girlfriend has a 3 yr old daughter who was raised by her alone from birlth to almost 2 yrs of age, when i came into the picture. she had ordered child support from the baby's bilogical father (who is in the military) in 2001 and has just recently been told by the court (2005) to take the baby in for blood tests to determine paternity. she is afraid, now, that if she goes through with this, he will want to have visitation rights even though she has not spoken to him since before the birth, nor has he ever attempted to contact her. is he still entitled to visitation? and can she deny it to him somehow? we are planning to get married soon and i have every intention to raise the baby as my own. does this have any affect on the case. thank you! :) also, since this process of child support has been already started, can she change her mind and cancel the case? :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, she doesn't get to have it both ways - he's Dad when it comes to paying, but not Dad when it comes to seeing the kid. Once he's proven to be the father, he will have every right to file for visitation or custody, should he so choose. Unless he's seriously unfit (i.e. a child molester), he IS going to get visitation.

You have no involvement whatsoever, unless after you marry you want to adopt the kid AND he consents.

nextwife

Sigh. She DOES want him to have the financial responsibility of being the dad, but she does NOT want him to get to BE a dad? The dad and his wallet are a package.

And OF COURSE it is totally reasonable for him to wish a DNA test. Any man would be brain dead to NOT ask, considering how many times the person who mom named as the father turned out to not be. Just read these forum archives, and you will begin to get an idea.

VeronicaGia

just_chilin19 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?california
my girlfriend has a 3 yr old daughter who was raised by her alone from birlth to almost 2 yrs of age, when i came into the picture. she had ordered child support from the baby's bilogical father (who is in the military) in 2001 and has just recently been told by the court (2005) to take the baby in for blood tests to determine paternity. she is afraid, now, that if she goes through with this, he will want to have visitation rights even though she has not spoken to him since before the birth, nor has he ever attempted to contact her. is he still entitled to visitation? and can she deny it to him somehow? we are planning to get married soon and i have every intention to raise the baby as my own. does this have any affect on the case. thank you! :) also, since this process of child support has been already started, can she change her mind and cancel the case? :)
The first thing you (and she) need to understand is this: Child support and visitation are two separate issues. She cannot deny court ordered visitation if he fails to pay support and he cannot stop paying court ordered support if she denies visitation.

You are not a party to the action. You are not the childs parent and have no say in the matter. If she's so willing to make this guy nothing but an ATM machine, and you're so willing to help her do it, keep that in mind if you have a child with her and find out she only wants you to be an ATM machine too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">