• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support and visitation in TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sball_chik

I just received a letter in the mail from the attorney general office. Apparently the father of my two month old son wants to pay child support, I'm guessing because he wants visitation rights. (I have not kept my son from him, he simply hasn't tried to see him) He has two other children, one is eight, the other is five months which he does not pay for monthly and sees whenever he has time. I don't want someone to play "daddy" when it's convenient for them. My question is, can I request that he proves to me that he can support his other two children monthly before he can try to support mine? Can he pick and choose which he pays for? I don't want child support, but if he wants to pay I feel as if he should pay the other two women as well.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I just received a letter in the mail from the attorney general office. Apparently the father of my two month old son wants to pay child support, I'm guessing because he wants visitation rights. (I have not kept my son from him, he simply hasn't tried to see him) He has two other children, one is eight, the other is five months which he does not pay for monthly and sees whenever he has time. I don't want someone to play "daddy" when it's convenient for them. My question is, can I request that he proves to me that he can support his other two children monthly before he can try to support mine? Can he pick and choose which he pays for? I don't want child support, but if he wants to pay I feel as if he should pay the other two women as well.
It is, frankly, none of your business. He may have an arrangement with the other Mom(s) that you are unaware of. You picked him as the father of the child you share - he is well within his rights to do as he is doing. Expect him to get parenting time, including overnights in short order.

Child support is never an admission ticket to parenting time - especially not CS for children unrelated to you.

LdiJ

It is, frankly, none of your business. He may have an arrangement with the other Mom(s) that you are unaware of. You picked him as the father of the child you share - he is well within his rights to do as he is doing. Expect him to get parenting time, including overnights in short order.

Child support is never an admission ticket to parenting time - especially not CS for children unrelated to you.
In TX its a little bit different because the AG also orders guideline visitation along with child support...so the ordering of child support almost IS kind of an "admission ticket".

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
In TX its a little bit different because the AG also orders guideline visitation along with child support...so the ordering of child support almost IS kind of an "admission ticket".
But not whether he is paying for his other kids. None of OP's business.

ETA - And DAD foiled to pay support for this child on his own. The other kids are moot.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">