• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support vs. Survivor Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C-Hawk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

My question has to do with the amount of child support my child received from NCP compared to the amount of survivor benefits my child now receives. Original CS was calculated by shared income between me and NCP. Sadly, NCP recently passed. My son’s survivor benefits he receives are 3 times the amount of previous child support. My income was never used in the benefits calculation. Is this a normal for survivor benefits to be so much higher than regular child support? Has there been some type of calculation mistake?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has experience with this situation.

mistoffolees

I don't know about 'normal', but it's not uncommon - particularly in cases where there is a shared income model and/or a model which accounts for parenting time (especially if parenting time is close to equal).

If you're concerned, you could talk with SS to ask them to verify the numbers. Or, put the excess into a savings account. If SS asks for it back, you'll have it. If they don't, you'll have a nice college fund.

haiku

Your social security benefits are based on how much a person has paid into social security over the years, up to a maximum payment amount. If your ex had a long work history, his SS would reflect that.

I am sorry for your loss.

LdiJ

I don't know about 'normal', but it's not uncommon - particularly in cases where there is a shared income model and/or a model which accounts for parenting time (especially if parenting time is close to equal).

If you're concerned, you could talk with SS to ask them to verify the numbers. Or, put the excess into a savings account. If SS asks for it back, you'll have it. If they don't, you'll have a nice college fund.
Its actually a little bit common if the parent had only one child. Survivor's benefits are generally 1/2 of what the parent would have received had they retired. If it does not have to be divided between multiple children, it can be quite generous compared to some child support orders.

C-Hawk

Thanks

Thank you to everyone for responding. Everything does makes sense since the NCP always had a steady work history, and there is only my child receiving the benefits.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">