+ Reply to Thread
    C-Hawk is offline Junior Member

Child Support vs. Survivor Benefits

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

My question has to do with the amount of child support my child received from NCP compared to the amount of survivor benefits my child now receives. Original CS was calculated by shared income between me and NCP. Sadly, NCP recently passed. My sonís survivor benefits he receives are 3 times the amount of previous child support. My income was never used in the benefits calculation. Is this a normal for survivor benefits to be so much higher than regular child support? Has there been some type of calculation mistake?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has experience with this situation.
    mistoffolees is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about 'normal', but it's not uncommon - particularly in cases where there is a shared income model and/or a model which accounts for parenting time (especially if parenting time is close to equal).

If you're concerned, you could talk with SS to ask them to verify the numbers. Or, put the excess into a savings account. If SS asks for it back, you'll have it. If they don't, you'll have a nice college fund.
    haiku is offline Senior Member
    Your social security benefits are based on how much a person has paid into social security over the years, up to a maximum payment amount. If your ex had a long work history, his SS would reflect that.

I am sorry for your loss.
    "It is easier to build strong children than repair broken men." Frederick Douglas
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mistoffolees View Post
    I don't know about 'normal', but it's not uncommon - particularly in cases where there is a shared income model and/or a model which accounts for parenting time (especially if parenting time is close to equal).

If you're concerned, you could talk with SS to ask them to verify the numbers. Or, put the excess into a savings account. If SS asks for it back, you'll have it. If they don't, you'll have a nice college fund.
    Its actually a little bit common if the parent had only one child. Survivor's benefits are generally 1/2 of what the parent would have received had they retired. If it does not have to be divided between multiple children, it can be quite generous compared to some child support orders.
    C-Hawk is offline Junior Member

Thanks

Thank you to everyone for responding. Everything does makes sense since the NCP always had a steady work history, and there is only my child receiving the benefits.

Thanks again.