• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support wants me to voluntarily close my cs case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aprilesp29

hello I filed for child support last year and the other parent does not pay his court ordered child support. he has no job and lives with his mom and dad.
I got a letter from child support asking to to voluntarily close my cs case with him.

I have never heard of this.

oh and the reason they said they want to close the case is they cant locate him but he has been living at the same address for the last 4 years.
and they have it on file.
any advice would be helpful.

I do not get any financial assistance from the state.

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state?????

In some cases, you can decline. In others, unless you can provide them with information that will help them get and enforce an order, they will close it anyway. You always have the option of suing him yourself and self enforcing.. but good luck with that.

TNBSMommy

You know, my ex has had the same adress for umpteen million years... he would answer the door and say, "no I don't know anyone by that name" when I'd try to have him served. I had to give them a pic of him for the sherriff's dept to carry with them to get him served. It was really the only way I was able to at least 2ce...

Isis1

You know, my ex has had the same adress for umpteen million years... he would answer the door and say, "no I don't know anyone by that name" when I'd try to have him served. I had to give them a pic of him for the sherriff's dept to carry with them to get him served. It was really the only way I was able to at least 2ce...
That would involve OP closing the case with the agency and persuing an order herself. Which she can definitely do.

TNBSMommy

Actually it was through the CS agency here. I've had a case with them for years.... They are the ones who suggested a photo to give to have him served, b/c we had such a hard time with it.

Isis1

Actually it was through the CS agency here. I've had a case with them for years.... They are the ones who suggested a photo to give to have him served, b/c we had such a hard time with it.
I sure hope the OP is in TN, cuz that would help alot!!

TNBSMommy

I sure hope the OP is in TN, cuz that would help alot!!
Yeah, I know she didn't bother to mention where she was and there's only a 1 in 50 shot of her being here in TN, but it may be an option wherever she is... that is something that wouldn't have occurred to me to even ASK if the caseworker hadn't suggested it! But then I've gone years with getting no CS and they never asked me to close my case with them... we just kept on trying.

Because in many jurisdictions, you can't have 2 cases against the same individual for the same cause of action....
Would this only be true if there was an actual case filed at the courthouse? Or is this regardless? For example, CSE has a case open but no current active motion or Petition on file with family law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">