• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support when 1 child lives with each parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tromba55

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have 2 kids. They have been living with their mother since a divorce in 2005 and I have been paying child support (original settlement was in state of Florida). In a couple of months, one daughter will be living with me while the other will remain with their mother.

So my question is: What happens to child support when each parent has one child? Do I stop paying half? Do I stop paying all since we are each covering expenses for one child?

May not be relevant, but their mother earns at least twice as much as I do.

I realize this would have to go to court to be changed, but I just want to know what the likely outcome would be.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have 2 kids. They have been living with their mother since a divorce in 2005 and I have been paying child support (original settlement was in state of Florida). In a couple of months, one daughter will be living with me while the other will remain with their mother.

So my question is: What happens to child support when each parent has one child? Do I stop paying half? Do I stop paying all since we are each covering expenses for one child?

May not be relevant, but their mother earns at least twice as much as I do.

I realize this would have to go to court to be changed, but I just want to know what the likely outcome would be.
You don't do anything until a court says you do something differently.

since support is based on various factors, including the income differences between the parents, without running your situation through a calculator, it is not possible to determine what anybody's obligation would be.

and you need to move jurisdiction to Ohio from Florida. Until it has been relinquished in Florida, they retain jurisdiction.

single317dad

Where do the mother and children live now?

And, yes, it absolutely must go to court to be changed. Don't change anything on your own; that's a recipe for trouble down the road.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">