• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support when the custodial parent is a stay at home parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

projectjj3

What is the name of your state (Utah)?
My ex-husband who lives in Colorado pays his portion of child support regularly to me for our son. Over the past 11 years we have kept his fathers portion reduced because he states he can't afford any more than what he is paying. We never followed any of the legal guidlines for portions based on salary, we just set an amount and agreed to it. I have always worked and provided the larger portion of support even though I made less money. I even cover all medical expenses even though we are suppose to split them because he tells me he can't afford that either. I am remarried (he is not) and for the first time I am staying home because I have other children to care for as well. My ex still thinks I should have to split costs for airfare and travel when our son goes to visit or if he takes him on vacation wherever they fly to I cover 50% of the costs. Since his support has always been reduced (he pays about 70% of what it would have been) I don't think I should be responsible any more. My current husband covers expenses that I would be responsible for if I were still working including all medical costs (my son has a medical condition that requires meds). I keep the peace with my ex because I believe this is important for our sons well being. I have tried to reason with him over this but he still deducts it from the support. Am I wrong to expect this? Would the law still require me to cover the costs given the circumstances?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (Utah)?
My ex-husband who lives in Colorado pays his portion of child support regularly to me for our son. Over the past 11 years we have kept his fathers portion reduced because he states he can't afford any more than what he is paying. We never followed any of the legal guidlines for portions based on salary, we just set an amount and agreed to it. I have always worked and provided the larger portion of support even though I made less money. I even cover all medical expenses even though we are suppose to split them because he tells me he can't afford that either.
Okay.

projectjj3 said:
I am remarried (he is not) and for the first time I am staying home because I have other children to care for as well.
That's your choice.

But it's not something you can inflict upon your X and make him pay more CS so that you can make a lifestyle change.

projectjj3 said:
My ex still thinks I should have to split costs for airfare and travel when our son goes to visit or if he takes him on vacation wherever they fly to I cover 50% of the costs. Since his support has always been reduced (he pays about 70% of what it would have been) I don't think I should be responsible any more.
Well, then.

projectjj3 said:
My current husband covers expenses that I would be responsible for if I were still working including all medical costs (my son has a medical condition that requires meds).
That's his choice to pick up your slack. He doesn't have to do that.

projectjj3 said:
I keep the peace with my ex because I believe this is import for our sons well being. I have tried to reason with him over this but he still deducts it from the support. Am I wrong to expect this? Would the law still require me to cover the costs given the circumstances?
Sure, it would. Depends upon how Dad presents it, but absolutely I see him getting a continuation of the 50/50 travel cost split.

You could also revisit the CS issue and request the court to order guideline support. (This is at the same time I predict a court will order you to continue splitting travel costs.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">