• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support when not the biological father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Advice_plz

This question is in regards to Tennessee but it may be the same nationwide. I was cheated on in the first year of a relationship (not married, ever) and was aware that this incident got my fiance pregnant. The biological father paid money (i am 100% honest, no joke) to have me killed. The sherrifs dept was tipped off and a report was made but it all came down to "hersey" i think they called it "he said vs she said". So he is out of the picture.

I never had a dad and knew how important that is in life so i signed the birth cert. I wanted him to have a normal life

moving forward, she continued to cheat on me with other men and we decided to end our relationship mutually and she would keep the tax money to get her self started on her life such as an apartment and car, she lived with me and used mine.

I quit my job when the child was 4 months old so i could take care of him, he is now almost 9 months old.

I have no problem helping her out until she finds someone else to may possibly become his "new dad' because i dont want him doing that "2 dad" thing to one day find out neither dad #1 or 2 was his real dad.

I merely am wondering if she can legally make me pay child support if she gets into that "mood" where she wants to ruin me. or would a judge possibly see my side and see i merely got screwed by her. Thank you for the help.

Last edited:

Proserpina

This question is in regards to Tennessee but it may be the same nationwide. I was cheated on in the first year of a relationship (not married, ever) and was aware that this incident got my fiance pregnant. The biological father paid money (i am 100% honest, no joke) to have me killed. The sherrifs dept was tipped off and a report was made but it all came down to "hersey" i think they called it "he said vs she said". So he is out of the picture.

I never had a dad and knew how important that is in life so i signed the birth cert. I wanted him to have a normal life

moving forward, she continued to cheat on me with other men and we decided to end our relationship mutually and she would keep the tax money to get her self started on her life such as an apartment and car, she lived with me and used mine.

I quit my job when the child was 4 months old so i could take care of him, he is now almost 9 months old.

I have no problem helping her out until she finds someone else to may possibly become his "new dad' because i dont want him doing that "2 dad" thing to one day find out neither dad #1 or 2 was his real dad.

I merely am wondering if she can legally make me pay child support if she gets into that "mood" where she wants to ruin me. or would a judge possibly see my side and see i merely got screwed by her. Thank you for the help.

So you're legal Dad?

You're on the hook for child support.

You signed a legal document - an affidavit of paternity - attesting that you were the father.

There IS perhaps a chance to disestablish paternity - but you need an attorney, and you need to act FAST.

Advice_plz

So you're legal Dad?

You're on the hook for child support.

You signed a legal document - an affidavit of paternity - attesting that you were the father.

There IS perhaps a chance to disestablish paternity - but you need an attorney, and you need to act FAST.
i feel like disestablishing paternity makes me look like that "bailer" kind of father, but if its a must. also did the fact we were not married do anything to help my cause?

(its not that i don't love him, i do, but ive been screwed by her so many times i want to protect myself for the worst she can do.)

LdiJ

i feel like disestablishing paternity makes me look like that "bailer" kind of father, but if its a must. also did the fact we were not married do anything to help my cause?

(its not that i don't love him, i do, but ive been screwed by her so many times i want to protect myself for the worst she can do.)
The ONLY thing that can help you is disestablishing paternity.

mistoffolees

Well, it WILL look like you're bailing out, so why are you surprised.

The good news (for the child, at least) is that you probably can't simply disestablish paternity. You'll have to find the biological father - and Mom will probably have to participate in the process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">