• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support when taking a year off school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stepmom1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My stepson will turn 18 when he graduates from high school. He plans on working a year before attending college. Does his father need to continue paying child support for the year that his son is working? Also, when and if he does go to college, will his father need to start paying child support again? The custody agreement states that support is to continue until he turns 18 unless he decides to attend college but no mention is made about "taking a year off".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My stepson will turn 18 when he graduates from high school. He plans on working a year before attending college. Does his father need to continue paying child support for the year that his son is working? Also, when and if he does go to college, will his father need to start paying child support again? The custody agreement states that support is to continue until he turns 18 unless he decides to attend college but no mention is made about "taking a year off".
It would seem to me that your husband should head to the court to have CS terminated when kiddo turns 18/graduates from HS. Of course, kiddo might "change his mind" about taking a year off at that point, but there's not much you can do about that.

And, congrats on your post...very few newbies "get it" when they post on behalf of their spouse :)

ETA: OH, now I see. I should be congratulating you for learning the lesson the first time around :)

Last edited:

stepmom1

taking a year off school

Thanks for your quick reply! So assuming that my stepson does decide to attend college after a year of working, will my husband need to restart paying support? I really appreciate your advice.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Thanks for your quick reply! So assuming that my stepson does decide to attend college after a year of working, will my husband need to restart paying support? I really appreciate your advice.
Once a court TERMINATES a child support order, their chances of reinstating it are very slim. If the child is smart, he will go directly to college and not stop at work. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">