• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support who pays?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweethart

What is the name of your state? NY

I live in NYC and have temp custody of 2 grandchildren, as both parents were considered unable to care for them. A third grandchild is temporarily with my daughter on a voluntary basis (not court ordered. She is 13 years old and moved out a year before we got custody of her sibs).

We are filing for support against both parents. The question is: Can we demand that both parents pay the entire cost of support, or are we obligated to pay some portion thereof? Also, regarding the oldest child living with my daughter, we contribute significantly to her support as well. Who can ask for support in that case, do we or does my daughter? And the same question appiles who is obligated to pay? (Both parents work).

LdiJ

sweethart said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I live in NYC and have temp custody of 2 grandchildren, as both parents were considered unable to care for them. A third grandchild is temporarily with my daughter on a voluntary basis (not court ordered. She is 13 years old and moved out a year before we got custody of her sibs).

We are filing for support against both parents. The question is: Can we demand that both parents pay the entire cost of support, or are we obligated to pay some portion thereof? Also, regarding the oldest child living with my daughter, we contribute significantly to her support as well. Who can ask for support in that case, do we or does my daughter? And the same question appiles who is obligated to pay? (Both parents work).
Please realize that if you do this the parents are likely to fight you tooth and nail to regain custody of their children. That doesn't mean that they will win, but its still a battle you need to be prepared to fight.

If your daughter has legal placement/custody of the oldest child then it would be up to your daughter to file for child support. If she doesn't, it might be wiser to hold off on filing for child support until she does.

sweethart

Thanks but have an additional point

There is going to be a trial in family court over the custody issue, so I am not focusing on that. But, what about the basic question as to who has to pay? And why would it make sense to wait for my daughter to file? If you could expand on your answers I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">