• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support in Wisconsin ( and Arrears)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shellaire

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I have Sole Custody and Full Placement of my 12 year old. His father was in jail and is now out. He has a job. The court order so far stands at $75/week Plus $10 for arrears. He works at Kipp in Madison WI. I don't know the pay scale, but he works factory and since he is new, I am only assuming entry. Probably around $10/hr- not sure. I recently got laid off of work as of August 8, 2014. He has paid nothing. I support my household by myself ( no partner) I got a letter from Court saying that the child support will reconvene in October.

My question: Can we get more support? Is it in our best interest? There are other expenses to consider, such as school activities and his music lessons. His dental and medical is covered under BadgerCare.

Thank you for all of your help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I have Sole Custody and Full Placement of my 12 year old. His father was in jail and is now out. He has a job. The court order so far stands at $75/week Plus $10 for arrears. He works at Kipp in Madison WI. I don't know the pay scale, but he works factory and since he is new, I am only assuming entry. Probably around $10/hr- not sure. I recently got laid off of work as of August 8, 2014. He has paid nothing. I support my household by myself ( no partner) I got a letter from Court saying that the child support will reconvene in October.

My question: Can we get more support? Is it in our best interest? There are other expenses to consider, such as school activities and his music lessons. His dental and medical is covered under BadgerCare.

Thank you for all of your help.
School activities and music lessons should be paid out of child support which is based upon a formula. What is the court order for visitation? If you file for child support to be modified are you prepared for dad to file for visitation and force that issue?

shellaire

I am prepared for court

School activities and music lessons should be paid out of child support which is based upon a formula. What is the court order for visitation? If you file for child support to be modified are you prepared for dad to file for visitation and force that issue?
Absolutely! That would be a switch actually if he tried to get some visitation set up or something. He really doesn't do that, but am totally okay if he did.

To recap- The question was Can we get more support? Is it in our best interest?

Shelley

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Absolutely! That would be a switch actually if he tried to get some visitation set up or something. He really doesn't do that, but am totally okay if he did.

To recap- The question was Can we get more support? Is it in our best interest?

Shelley
Is "we" the child and you? In your best interest? It depends. You might want to try running a child support worksheet and see what it means. YOU will be imputed at what you are capable of earning as I believe Wisconsin does a shared income formula. Be aware that it might not go up from $300+ a month. Or it might. At 12, child care would not be included as that normally stops at 12. And the other expenses are to be paid out of child support. You need to determine what it would be with what you are capable of earning and how much it changes from what it is now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">