• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Withheld

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

26stepmom

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
I have a little question if any one has any answers. My husband has 2 kids from a previous marriage and on January 3rd of this year he signed papers giving up his rights. Step father is adopting the kids. Well, they are still withholding child support from his pay. It was held out Jan 7 and will probably be held out tomorrow to when he gets pd. My husband' s attorney is out of town and he hasn't gotten to speak with him about this yet. Question is does my husband get that money back or does exwife get to keep it? Seems logical that anything after Jan 3 she should not be able to keep, but not sure?
Thanks for any input.

VeronicaGia

26stepmom said:
What is the name of your state? Arkansas
I have a little question if any one has any answers. My husband has 2 kids from a previous marriage and on January 3rd of this year he signed papers giving up his rights. Step father is adopting the kids. Well, they are still withholding child support from his pay. It was held out Jan 7 and will probably be held out tomorrow to when he gets pd. My husband' s attorney is out of town and he hasn't gotten to speak with him about this yet. Question is does my husband get that money back or does exwife get to keep it? Seems logical that anything after Jan 3 she should not be able to keep, but not sure?
Thanks for any input.
And keep in mind, he wouldn't be the first person to find out that the adoption was never finalized. And if he stops paying, he'll owe all that money plus interest.

He needs to keep on top of the case and keep paying until he has court documents regarding the adoption being finalized.

26stepmom

So basically your saying that if the adoption never gets finalized he will have to continue to pay child support? This might take forever then if thats the case. It seems like they would have to proceed with the adoption and have it finalized since he has already signed over his rights.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
That's exactly right. However, stepDad cannot be FORCED to adopt the child. So your hubby needs to stay on top of it to make sure it happens, OR reinstate visitation rights. And... well... enforce them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">