• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support worksheet and medical insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needingadvice2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I am in the process of modifying the current child support order I have. As I am doing the worksheet i'm stuck at the portion for "medical coverage". My current spouse carries the children on her insurance through work, and they have multiple plans. The plan she is on now is free but there is a $250.00 deductible per person.

My question is, do I add this on my worksheet, if it is carried by my spouse?
And if so, how do I add that in when it is a deductible?

And help would be greatly appreciated!

ecmst12

If there is no premium being paid, it wouldn't factor in. The deductible would be handled as unreimbursed medical expenses, separate from child support.

OHRoadwarrior

Insurance coverage is always a sticky subject. Orders generally favor one person being designated to provide coverage. The issue becomes when that is no longer practical for situational reasons. If co-parenting is a fluid process, I favor the more generic order that insurance is to be provided as practical. This can allow multiple carriers to cover the child without revisiting the order. You are only addressing the financial aspect.

CJane

Insurance coverage is always a sticky subject. Orders generally favor one person being designated to provide coverage. The issue becomes when that is no longer practical for situational reasons. If co-parenting is a fluid process, I favor the more generic order that insurance is to be provided as practical. This can allow multiple carriers to cover the child without revisiting the order. You are only addressing the financial aspect.
An order specifying that parent A is to provide health insurance in no way prevents parent B from providing it as well. My ex is ordered to cover the children. I have them on my policy as well. It requires no "revisiting" of the order to do so. Did you mean something else? I'm confused.

OP - ecmst is correct. If there is no financial outlay for premiums, you need to indicate $0 under the cost of insurance. The deductible is a separate matter altogether, as it only applies if the insurance is used.

needingadvice2

OP - ecmst is correct. If there is no financial outlay for premiums, you need to indicate $0 under the cost of insurance. The deductible is a separate matter altogether, as it only applies if the insurance is used.
I did try to enter $0 and it doesn't allow that... In October when this plan will no longer be available the premium will be deducted out of my spouses checks. Does that mean I will need to put the "child's portion" of the premium down for child support, or is that not the case since it will be coming out of my wife's checks automatically.

CJane

I did try to enter $0 and it doesn't allow that... In October when this plan will no longer be available the premium will be deducted out of my spouses checks. Does that mean I will need to put the "child's portion" of the premium down for child support, or is that not the case since it will be coming out of my wife's checks automatically.
Weird. Because I just went through this whole sheet http://www.azcourts.gov/familylaw/2011_CALC.aspx and it let me enter 0, or rather leave it at 0.

In October, you will need to modify child support AGAIN to account for the amount that will then be paid for insurance. You cannot have it taken into consideration in advance. So, it might be worth it to wait until October anyway.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Weird. Because I just went through this whole sheet http://www.azcourts.gov/familylaw/2011_CALC.aspx and it let me enter 0, or rather leave it at 0.

In October, you will need to modify child support AGAIN to account for the amount that will then be paid for insurance. You cannot have it taken into consideration in advance. So, it might be worth it to wait until October anyway.
Even if it didn't - one could just enter $1 and it wouldn't make any appreciable difference to the calculations.

needingadvice2

Weird. Because I just went through this whole sheet http://www.azcourts.gov/familylaw/2011_CALC.aspx and it let me enter 0, or rather leave it at 0.QUOTE]

https://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/ezCourtForms/index.asp
This is where I was advised to go to for the form.

Thanks for all the feedback though, I have printed my worksheet and getting all the documents together!

OHRoadwarrior

If the insurance company for parent B requests a copy of the order and it specifies parent A is responsible for insurance, they can deny coverage.

An order specifying that parent A is to provide health insurance in no way prevents parent B from providing it as well. My ex is ordered to cover the children. I have them on my policy as well. It requires no "revisiting" of the order to do so. Did you mean something else? I'm confused.

CJane

In OP state, Insurance carrier and situation?:confused:
Doesn't matter. I think it's BS. I've NEVER been denied coverage of my children. Never had an insurance company ask for a copy of an order before covering them, never had an issue with TWO parents covering one or all of the children, nothing.

And I've had a lot of carriers and a lot of reasons to cover or not. And I've been CP and NCP. *shrug* I don't believe at all that this happened.

ecmst12

No, they can't. If the child is an eligible dependent, and they are being added at the proper time (open enrollment or within 30 days of a qualifying event), then the insurance carrier MUST allow them to be added. That applies for all employer sponsored group plans in all states under federal law. The only time a court order would matter is if it's a step parent doing the adding AND the policy specifically states that there has to be a court order mandating the step parent's spouse to cover the child in order for the child to be eligible, but that would be a different issue than the way you describe it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">