• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support writ of bodily attachment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wisewolves

What is the name of your state? FL
WHEW.. okay this has been a long time coming. maybe someone can help. I have been divorced now for over 7 years and remarried, i waived child support in my divorce for reasons, and then as the years went by i only asked the man to pay me 20.00 a month to help with school lunches and assist with buying clothes at the beginning of the school year. But ALWAYS had to call and had problems with that, SO last January i took him to court and was awarded child support for my now 13 year old son. I should say they based the child support on work the man COULD do because he didnt respond to the financial affidavit nor did he show up for any hearings, he lives 3 hours away and actually hasnt seen his son in 3 years, NOT because i wouldnt let him he just is required to pick him up and has never initiated any requests.
ANYWAY. he never paid, i knew he wouldnt, so this past May i had a writ of bodily attachment issued for him, he hid from the sheriff in his town for a month or so until they finally caught him at home last week. NOW he sits in jail, his purge amount is 1500.00. NOW.. this is where the questions start, i do live in a different county and the writ is from my county. I have been told he isnt going to pay the 1500.00 so someone told me that now he has to sit there until HE pays transportation for the sheriff to transport him to Duval county to go before a judge. How does that work and what is the transportation costs? will Sumter county hold him indefinitely if he doesnt pay the transportation cost?
Once he gets here i guess he will go before a judge and try to say he cant pay, and from all i have read the judge, being soft on guys in jail, will just make him promise to do something and let him go. So then i am back at square one i guess.
I am just really curious about the transportation thing if someone could answer that for me.
Thanks

Gracie3787

wisewolves said:
What is the name of your state? FL
WHEW.. okay this has been a long time coming. maybe someone can help. I have been divorced now for over 7 years and remarried, i waived child support in my divorce for reasons, and then as the years went by i only asked the man to pay me 20.00 a month to help with school lunches and assist with buying clothes at the beginning of the school year. But ALWAYS had to call and had problems with that, SO last January i took him to court and was awarded child support for my now 13 year old son. I should say they based the child support on work the man COULD do because he didnt respond to the financial affidavit nor did he show up for any hearings, he lives 3 hours away and actually hasnt seen his son in 3 years, NOT because i wouldnt let him he just is required to pick him up and has never initiated any requests.
ANYWAY. he never paid, i knew he wouldnt, so this past May i had a writ of bodily attachment issued for him, he hid from the sheriff in his town for a month or so until they finally caught him at home last week. NOW he sits in jail, his purge amount is 1500.00. NOW.. this is where the questions start, i do live in a different county and the writ is from my county. I have been told he isnt going to pay the 1500.00 so someone told me that now he has to sit there until HE pays transportation for the sheriff to transport him to Duval county to go before a judge. How does that work and what is the transportation costs? will Sumter county hold him indefinitely if he doesnt pay the transportation cost?
Once he gets here i guess he will go before a judge and try to say he cant pay, and from all i have read the judge, being soft on guys in jail, will just make him promise to do something and let him go. So then i am back at square one i guess.
I am just really curious about the transportation thing if someone could answer that for me.
Thanks
When the Judge issued the writ did he also set the purge amount and/or a certain amount of jail time if purge not paid?
And was a finding of contempt already made?

If all those things have already been ordered, it's probable that he'll stay in Sumter until he either pays the purge or serves out the jail time the Judge ordered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">