• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child tax credit who gets to claim them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deerivas13

What is the name of your state? Arizona

There are 3 children involved and my ex has been claiming 2 of the 3 for child tax credit. I have been advised that we should be alternating claiming the 3rd child every other year. But he was advised he should beable to keep claiming 2 of the 3 every year. Which one of us is correct? He lives out of state and claims he is also allowed every single school break the kids have including Christmas, wanting to know if he also gets this?
Thanks Dee What is the name of your state? Az

LdiJ

Deerivas13 said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona

There are 3 children involved and my ex has been claiming 2 of the 3 for child tax credit. I have been advised that we should be alternating claiming the 3rd child every other year. But he was advised he should beable to keep claiming 2 of the 3 every year. Which one of us is correct? He lives out of state and claims he is also allowed every single school break the kids have including Christmas, wanting to know if he also gets this?
Thanks Dee What is the name of your state? Az
Who has primary custody of the children and what do your court orders say?

Deerivas13

The court never ordered it either way. I just let him have the 2 claims for the past 3 years in the modification done 3 years ago. I specified in the modification he was allowed only to claim them up until this year and now he wants to redo the modification so that he can claim them until they are no longer of age to claim. And I am the custodial parent , they are with me more than 260 days of the year.

LdiJ

Deerivas13 said:
The court never ordered it either way. I just let him have the 2 claims for the past 3 years in the modification done 3 years ago. I specified in the modification he was allowed only to claim them up until this year and now he wants to redo the modification so that he can claim them until they are no longer of age to claim. And I am the custodial parent , they are with me more than 260 days of the year.
If it was put in the modification then its a court order. If that ended this year then by law, only you are allowed to claim them unless you give him specific permission to do so.

If it goes back to court, then the judge is likely to split things. He claims one, you claim one, and the third you alternate every other year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">