• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Childcare Costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M.Vyper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Philadelphia, PA

My ex and I share 50/50 legal and physical custody of our 1 child(infant). I have our son every other week. I moved our child from the old daycare for these reasons:

1) Daycare times/hours of operation or BAD
2) New faces (staff - I never know who this or that person is)
3) Price increase by $100 a week ($390 per week)

The new daycare I moved him to offer:

1) Better rates ($315 per week)
2) More of a family setting (smaller)
3) The BEST times/hours of operation (is on call if needed)

With this being said, I made my point as to why I wanted to move my kids, but at last my ex does not agree with the move and is taking me to court for a reduction in support, but did not file a motion for custody(?). Of course he is only worried about the money :/ We make similar salaries (he makes $200 more) so I gets next to nothing (which is fine by me) other than the shared cost of daycare. I am in contempt according to the papers, because I am (somehow) "pocketing" the money for childcare and making him pay double. He wants me to pay back what is owed to him. He keeps the children at the old daycare on his weeks and pays $390 every two weeks where as I pay $315 every week (even if they kids are NOT there). So the current support order includes what is owed to me ($61) and the shared cost for the previous daycare price ($290) since it's an old order. So my questions is, am I in contempt? I am not paying for the cost of the other daycare, just the current daycare. In both situations the price for childcare has increased. Would I have to owe him anything? What are my chances etc.?

Last edited:

I'm Confused. You Say you Share one Child, but You use the Words "Kids" plural for you, and "children" plural for him.

All I can Say is I feel extremely Said for however many Children there are, alternating day cares each week, how confusing, Especially for an infant.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Philadelphia, PA

My ex and I share 50/50 legal and physical custody of our 1 child(infant). I have our son every other week. I moved our child from the old daycare for these reasons:

1) Daycare times/hours of operation or BAD
2) New faces (staff - I never know who this or that person is)
3) Price increase by $100 a week ($390 per week)

The new daycare I moved him to offer:

1) Better rates ($315 per week)
2) More of a family setting (smaller)
3) The BEST times/hours of operation (is on call if needed)

With this being said, I made my point as to why I wanted to move my kids, but at last my ex does not agree with the move and is taking me to court for a reduction in support, but did not file a motion for custody(?). Of course he is only worried about the money :/ We make similar salaries (he makes $200 more) so I gets next to nothing (which is fine by me) other than the shared cost of daycare. I am in contempt according to the papers, because I am (somehow) "pocketing" the money for childcare and making him pay double. He wants me to pay back what is owed to him. He keeps the children at the old daycare on his weeks and pays $390 every two weeks where as I pay $315 every week (even if they kids are NOT there). So the current support order includes what is owed to me ($61) and the shared cost for the previous daycare price ($290) since it's an old order. So my questions is, am I in contempt? I am not paying for the cost of the other daycare, just the current daycare. In both situations the price for childcare has increased. Would I have to owe him anything? What are my chances etc.?
without his agreement you had no right to change daycres. And quite frankly, YOU are the one who is only worried about money. After all that is what prompted you to move HIS child and your other child/ren to this new daycare. Why do you think he should pay you anything? You quite frankly should be paying for daycare entirely since you moved the child without his agreement. You don't have the right to make unilateral decisions. You very well may be found in contempt because you are making him pay double. You were just hoping that he would roll over and agree with you, weren't you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">