• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Children over 18 moved out but still paying child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

garners9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
I am disabled and the state takes child support and arrears out of my disability. In 2013 one of my children dropped out of school and moved out of her custodial guardians house, my second child who is a couple of years older than her is on my disability as an adult disabled child. My 3rd and youngest child graduated last year while pregnant and was married in November last year. I have had no contact with them in 10yrs but not for lack of trying. The aunt and uncle had custody and continued to get child support and arrears even though the kids were out of school and 1 moved out a couple of years ago. I finally got to talk to the case worker and she basically said it was my fault because I didn't notify them years ago. I had no idea till after the fact. So she says that there is nothing I can do about the thousands of dollars I paid the last couple of years that was spent on my niece and nephews instead of my kids. Also said that I have to continue arrears payments that of course will go up now. My license was suspended years ago and even though I won't be paying current child support after a month or so, I have to pay 3 additional months child support to get it reinstated. I get 1100 mnth in disability, they take 297 in child support. What can I do.? I can't afford an attorney.

garners9

Child support payments went to the aunt and uncle. But weren't they responsible for reporting that the child graduated, got married or moved out. I had no idea till after paying in thousands. Then I find out the aunt doesn't work but occasionally and the money I pay in paid for her childrens football, cheerleader and trips.

garners9

Also my payments were garnished from my disability by the district attorney office for child support and then they made payment to the uncle who had custody.

Just Blue

Child support payments went to the aunt and uncle. But weren't they responsible for reporting that the child graduated, got married or moved out. I had no idea till after paying in thousands. Then I find out the aunt doesn't work but occasionally and the money I pay in paid for her childrens football, cheerleader and trips.
Are you not responsible for KNOWING what your children are doing? And How much arrears do you have?

garners9

They moved my children and hid them for 3+ years. After I suffered a traumatic brain injury and became disabled they stopped contact. I've called, used facebook and even had my wife drive me every where that I thought they would be. When we found them they said i could only see them if i gave 3 weeks notice and it was only at their house 2hrs away. Then they changed phone numbers and when I went to the house no one ever answered and the neighbor said they moved. I've tried everything but because I have a very limited income I couldn't afford the 1500 retainer for a lawyer. I can barely cover my rent.

Just Blue

They moved my children and hid them for 3+ years. After I suffered a traumatic brain injury and became disabled they stopped contact. I've called, used facebook and even had my wife drive me every where that I thought they would be. When we found them they said i could only see them if i gave 3 weeks notice and it was only at their house 2hrs away. Then they changed phone numbers and when I went to the house no one ever answered and the neighbor said they moved. I've tried everything but because I have a very limited income I couldn't afford the 1500 retainer for a lawyer. I can barely cover my rent.
This site, and others like it have been around for well over a decade. You could have inquired how to go pro se to see your children. Perhaps it wasn't important to you then...unlike now.

garners9

I have been on these sites before and in the last 8 yrs there are no attorneys that will do child support /visitation probono in my area. Also I run into people like you. So tjis conversation is ovet. Please bash someone else. Like the dead beat dads who run from thier responsibilities. I have always paid my child support except when I was laid up in icu dying.

Just Blue

I have been on these sites before and in the last 8 yrs there are no attorneys that will do child support /visitation probono in my area. Also I run into people like you. So tjis conversation is ovet. Please bash someone else. Like the dead beat dads who run from thier responsibilities. I have always paid my child support except when I was laid up in icu dying.
I didn't say pro bono...I SAID Pro Se. You could have done this yourself years ago and now had a relationship with ALL the children.

OHRoadwarrior

If the kids are over 18, they can see you any time they wish. Some states allow for an order to continue through college. If you have arrears it will continue until current. Some states, you must go to court to have the order rescinded by the judge.

garners9

I have always tried to have a relationship with my children. I have done everything the state told me to do. But you tell me how I can pay an attorney after my rent, lights, water and insurance come out of a 700 a month check. I have talked with over 50 attorneys in the last 8yrs and they all say the same thing. Also the one time i represented myself they stopped me from paying and just ordered it out of my disability. My kids love me and while thier mom was strung out with her abusive boyfriend they lived with me until my accident. I still payed full child support to the state while they were in my custody. After my accident I couldn't care for them so their mothers uncle took them . They moved them and i couldn't find them. I love my kids and would do anything for them. I don't know why you are being so rude to me.

garners9

OHRoadwarrior said: Today 05:34 PM If the kids are over 18, they can see you any time

Thank you, I appreciate your help. I have no problem with paying the arrears. Just not sure why they won't do anything about the years I paid current support after they turned 18 and were out of school. The caseworker basically said oh well. Because I didn't know the one child quit school and the other was pregnant and got married. All the child support meant for 2 of my children was used on other kids cause my 2 no longer lived there.

Just Blue

I was not "rude".

I am glad you are feeling better and hopefully you will have a relationship with your kiddos. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

OHRoadwarrior

It apparently was not set up for college attendance and needed you to return to court to have the order stopped, which you did not do. You voluntarily gave up that money by failing to act with the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">