• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child's medical also college expenses.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

godlovin_momma

My boyfriend just got a stack of bills for medical and college which he knew nothing about. In his divorce it states she is to produce the bills within 30 days of the appointment and my boyfriend is to pay within 30 days after receiving such bill. He has bills since 2011 to now. She is also trying to collect for college which my boyfriend knew nothing about. His son barley made it out of high school and neither parent were college students out of high school. Also there is no mention in divorce decree of college pay except that the situation of finances will be looked at by a Magistrate or Judge for payment. His son went in 2014 for one semester than skipped a semester, going for summer program to do classes he flunked in High School, and than went one more time semester dropping out though she is also trying to get him to pay for an another semester the boy wouldn't go to. My boyfriend wasnever was consulted with college and the son told just recently he was made to go. My boyfriend was unemployed for most of the time his son supposedly was in college, having to leave NY to move back to his home state of Washington which of the 2 years being here he has only worked 6 months. His son has been out of school since Dec of 2014.

Can he be made to pay these medical bills and college expenses.

Last edited:

Based upon the information you've given, it seems that he would not be responsible for any bills received more than 30 days after the fact.

Now, be ready because the hordes of forum regulars will probably jump down your throat saying that these issues are none of your concern and that your boyfriend needs to log on and ask his own questions.

When the situation you are discussing is not your own issue you often have incomplete information. What is in the actual order is what is relevant, and in many states college expenses can be ordered. Even though there is a 30 day requirement on receipts for reimbursement, in other cases when it went to hearing the party was still ordered to pay. They were not fined, charged interest, or found in contempt, but still ordered to pay.

Just Blue

Based upon the information you've given, it seems that he would not be responsible for any bills received more than 30 days after the fact.

Now, be ready because the hordes of forum regulars will probably jump down your throat saying that these issues are none of your concern and that your boyfriend needs to log on and ask his own questions.
Lovely. :rolleyes:

tuffbrk

My boyfriend just got a stack of bills for medical and college which he knew nothing about. In his divorce it states she is to produce the bills within 30 days of the appointment and my boyfriend is to pay within 30 days after receiving such bill. He has bills since 2011 to now. She is also trying to collect for college which my boyfriend knew nothing about. His son barley made it out of high school and neither parent were college students out of high school. Also there is no mention in divorce decree of college pay except that the situation of finances will be looked at by a Magistrate or Judge for payment. His son went in 2014 for one semester than skipped a semester, going for summer program to do classes he flunked in High School, and than went one more time semester dropping out though she is also trying to get him to pay for an another semester the boy wouldn't go to. My boyfriend wasnever was consulted with college and the son told just recently he was made to go. My boyfriend was unemployed for most of the time his son supposedly was in college, having to leave NY to move back to his home state of Washington which of the 2 years being here he has only worked 6 months. His son has been out of school since Dec of 2014.

Can he be made to pay these medical bills and college expenses.
What a loser. Both as a parent and a man.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Perhaps Dad could enlighten us whether his son is emancipated, whether he is paying child support or filed to have it ended if son is emancipated, or whether Dad filed for a downward mod due to his unemployment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">