• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

childs s. readjustment due low income, but ...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Natynurse

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi, my 6 y. ols son's dad is now about to file for a child support readjustment (he also has an older son, also paying c.s. for). He claimed aprox. 15 G or less (could be even 8G), in his income taxes this last year (no dependants). He's been an "independant contractor/self-employed", mostly cash based, if you know what I mean....Anyway, I was appointed c.s. by court last year, which he has maintained, now a year later, he decides to go to medical school in Europe, all paid for by the U.S. - Financial Aid (entirely grants), and I mean all types of grants. He claims that by attending medical in Eurpoe, we would have no time for a job, therefore needs to readjust his c.s. payment to the minimum.
Is that fair? Can he just claim to the judge that he now makes 8G/year and that he's leaving to a medical school abroad, paid by U.S. grants, so therefore he just can't afford the child support payment he now sustains, and needs to pay less? Is this admissable?
Fortunately, I've married a wonderfull man, with a good carreer, whom takes care of my son and I very well; yet I don't think it's fair to put all of the monetary responsibilty on my husband. What can I do?
I also want to file for Full custody of our son, being that he'll be away 4-6 years, just coming to visit him on summer vacations. Is this admissable? Would he be still able to see him during summer time, even after I've been granted full custody.

Thank you so much in advance for your help and advice.
NYWhat is the name of your state?

ceara19

I agree that placing the burden on your husband is unfair. However, if dad is leaving the country, if he decides not to pay any child support, regardless of what the court orders, you will have a hard time collecting the money. The only way to take the burden off you husband's shoulders, may be for you to get a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">