• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chils Support Increase: Atty General

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amanning

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

I know my Ex is making lots more money, and the state says 25% gross of his income goes to his two children. The attorney general's office told me that either side can request a review of income only once every three years!
Someone else told me that is not true?
Anyone know anything?

Thanks!
Angela

25% of NET income (after appropriate tax rate). Every three years -- keeps the system from becoming overwhelmed. I'll send you a link to more info tomorrow. Good night.

S

somedude

Absolutely -- if there were no time limits, people would be filing adjustments everytime THEY feel "they aren't getting enough". Notice how I said that -- they think child support is real income and should support their lazy backside.

This information is easily available on the web -- via your state. Just do a search. You can start with your State Revised Codes...your state/county child support agencies.

efcoco1

I live in Texas also..and to have your child support reviewed and modified..you dont have to wait 3 years.
You can have it modified if it would increase by 20% or $100.
You can find out more from the Texas Attorney General web site.

Phnx02

I am from Texas too and I think last reply is right....if you know (or think) your ex's income has increased by at least 20%, you can ask for a modification (increase). Also, if payments are going thru the AG office, they will send you a letter every 4 years saying that it is your right to have his income reviewed every 4 years, whether or not you know he's had a change in circumstance.....it's just something you're entitled to every 4 years.

I don't live in TX...

Here's a bit from the TX AG's website...

How can child support be changed?
Only the Court can modify the child support order. It cannot be done by agreement of the parties. Grounds for a modification include a material and substantial change in the circumstances of a child or a person affected by the order, or the passage of three years since the last child support order and a difference in monthly payment by either 20 percent or $100 from the child support guidelines. A parent subject to a child support order may request a review of the ordered child support amounts every three years by contacting the Office of the Attorney General.

If a material change occured (the child now lives with the other parent, for example) or if after at least 3 years an increase/decrease in the support amount would be at least 20%/$100 of the original order, a review can be requested.

Even if no substantial change is thought to be warranted, a review can be requested every 3 years.

Remember, this is a review requested through the TX AG's office. I will check the TX Family Law Statutes for guidelines related to support modifications outside of the AG's office. Later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">