• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claim as dependent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kokoko

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

If the custodial parent does not have a job, and is on public aid can that parent have another individual such as a grandparent claim their child as a dependent (even though the grandparent is not providing as much support as the non-custodial parent)?

What can you do if the custodial parent (in the above situation) will not sign a release to the non-custodial parent to claim their child as a dependent?

R

rba777

There is an IRS form I believe 8332 that the custodial parent can sign that gives someone else the right to claim the children as dependents on their return. This can be done for one year or a number of years. I could be wrong on the form number. Any accountant should know. I don't have my returns here with me at the time. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">