• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming college student as my depenent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MJA89

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My ex and I were divorced in 2009. We had shared custody of my daughter, but I am in the military and moved away, so it amounted to visitation when we could. I pay child support and my ex claimed our daughter on her taxes. It's now 2014 and my daughter is graduating from high school. She will be 18 next month. Per our agreement (and court order), I stop child support upon her graduation from high school. I will be paying for 100% of her college expenses starting this fall. Since she is an adult, I have offered to have her live with me when not in college. Can I claim her as an exemption (provided she doesn't) on my taxes next year?

ecmst12

Will you be providing more than 50% of her support? Food, shelter, clothing, not just college costs.

MJA89

Yes. For the approx. 9 months of school I will be supporting her 100%. If she chooses to live with me or go to summer school/study abroad, it will be 100% year round.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">